Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New with a question

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Jen
  • 2 Replies

Hi my name is Jen and I have 3 kids: 15, 12, and 2

My oldest was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was around 7 years old - that was a roller coaster ride and I learned so much. He's a freshman in HS and doing great right now. 

My youngest, the 2 year old, has some behavior that may or may not put him on the autism spectrum. If you are familiar with the MCHAT, an early screening for ASD, that is what initially threw up some red flags for me. I do also know that the MCHAT has a high false positive rate (catches more kids than necessary) but I'm all about early intervention and that's ok. 

Anyway, due to some of the red flags I was seeing, and a funny speech pattern, I decided to call early intervention. My son qualified for services and we wrote the IFSP today. 

One thing they want to work on is transitions. The SLP thought that maybe some sort of visual time would help. You know those clocks that have a red part that disappears as the time runs out?? Well she was thinking of something similar and portable. I was thinking that I could just make one and laminate it. Of course I'd have to manually move the red part, but thats ok. And I know at 2 he won't "get" what a clock and "time" are but the point is to just use it so that eventually, he will. Right now, I just am looking for something that will visually show him that it's almost time to transition to another activity, or leave for a new destination.

Does anyone have any links or ideas? Apps that they love? I have an iphone and found a gazillion visual timer apps but I don't want to pay $2 a piece before I find one that is good. Ya know?  

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

i use the one on my iphone.

we set it and say when you hear the "robot" we have to leave or do whatever we set the timer for"

he has been able to recognize his numbers since he was 2, but when he was diagnosed at 15/18 months he didnt, but it worked, we showed it to him and he just learned

VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Time timer on the iphone is a good one...its exactly the same as the real timer clocks that they would use in therapy, made by the same company

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)