Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aspergers vs Asbergers

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

Can someone maybe explain to me why some people call it Asbergers? My MIL told me that's what DF's doctor called it, so that's what they called it, and while I've got DF saying Aspergers now, MIL, as well as his friends, still call it Asbergers. Are there actually two different names, or did DF's parents hear the doctor wrong, or was said doctor just weird?

(I kind of want to ask if said doctor was an idiot...)embarrassed

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
A_McCool
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Maybe the doctor didn't enunciate clearly.

mnmbaby
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I wondered that, too.

Quoting A_McCool:

Maybe the doctor didn't enunciate clearly.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Maybe the misheard or many the dr said it funny. Today my 7 year old came home from school and asked how to say I-D-E-A. I told her, "idea". She said, that's what I thought. But my teacher said, "Idear". Having dealt with my Aspie son, I was terrified to ask, "You didn't correct her? Did you?" I was so relieved when she said of course not that would be rude mom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JKent958
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Dr. Asperger was the man who identified certain similar characteristics in children, especially boys.  Aspergershas since been abolished with all children now on the autism spectrum.  People have just been pronouncing his name incorrectly.  GMA Judy

emarin77
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Technically there is no Aspergers or Asbergers, just mild, moderate, or severe Autism.  Psychiatrists changed the name this year.

lady_katie
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think that people just tend to pronounce it wrong. They're removing Asperger's from the DSM this year anyway, so you'll be hearing less and less of the word. 

bookmom53
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It was named for the doc who discovered it.  Asperger

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)