Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Dreading the dentist

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

I need to start finding a good dentist for my son's first appointment. He hates having his teeth brushed. I know his first appointment is not going to go well. I know he won't lie still. I wonder what can be done to make it a positI've experience.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshineBird
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I'm worried about the same thing. Teeth brushing has always been a huge battle with my son. I can't even look into his mouth....it's off limits to him. I have no idea how we will do dental work as we are now. Hopefully the other moms here have some advice because I need it too!

AngelicMommy_72
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My son who Has been to the dentist twice before with no problems how to complete and total melt down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aviatioNation
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this

My son goes to a dentist who only works with special needs kids. They have a series of protocols in place for calming children. They always start out as non-invasive as possible, talking to the child or showing the child what they're going to do. If that doesn't work they have various ways of gently restraining the child. And of course, if nothing else works you can choose a mild form of sedation or just opt to try again at a later date and hope your child takes it better next time.

blessedhappymom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Ask around to see if there are any dentists in your area that work better with kids on the spectrum. We were told about a dentist in our area who works great with asd kids. I took my son and he did great. The place and people were amazing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smarieljlee
by Sara on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We pay to see a ped. Dentist. So worth it.  When I filled out the paperwork I detailed my dd needs and the whole office was great with her. They accomadate well. DD had extensive work done over many visits. It was also nice not to hear how neglectful I am. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Look to see if you have a dentist that specializes in children with special needs. I came across one when my dd was referred to one by her dentist. They are a children's dental office and I asked them if they did special needs children and explained ds had autism and she said yes. They see them during the week but if I thought my ds couldn't handle it that once a month they do a special needs day. The appt times are longer to try to make the children as comfortable as possible. It's only about 10 mins from our home so that was a major plus.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

the first time i took jayden they had him lay on my lap

theresa1966
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I agree ....you need to find a denist who specializes in special needs. My son goes to one. I first found him when looking for another dentist because our other didn't want to deal with him. He told me my son had a cavity . When I found this dentist he told me its so small its not worth filling. Tell about a honest doctor. His office is bright and cheerful colors to help kids feel happy and safe.

good luck

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for your recommendations. I now feel more motivated to start making some calls.

Sheriff6
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

How old is he?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)