Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! Please introduce yourself... Get started here!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 1198 Replies
22 moms liked this

Hi,

Thank you for joining the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group!

This is a great place to find support, advice and friendship from other moms just like you!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. Please make yourself at home and join in!

• To add a New Post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group.
  • To add a Reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.
  • If you're responding to someone's reply, click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the reply that you're commenting on and then add your reply.
  • Once you start posting and replying on the Groups, you can follow up on your conversations using the links under the 'My Activity' tab at the top of every page.

Please introduce yourself in the replies below and then say hello to some of the other moms who've introduced themselves recently. You can 'Quote' their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can 'Like' their replies, as well. Feel free to send out some friend invitations by clicking on the 'friend Invite' link at the bottom of their reply.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

have a nice day  Amy

PS - Here are some helpful links: 

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message. 

We really want you to have a great time in this group!

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
go-get-it
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
12 moms liked this

Hi i have a wonderful Molly age 5 .. non verbal Autism .She is doing great in Kindergartan 

lunchbag 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM
4 moms liked this

Hi there!  Welcome to the group!

Quoting go-get-it:

Hi i have a wonderful Molly age 5 .. non verbal Autism .She is doing great in Kindergartan 

lunchbag 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
17 moms liked this

I joined yesterday. I am in my late 20s. Married for 6 years. I have two children. My son is 5 and my daughter is 3. My son was diagnosed with autism almost 3 years ago. He is mostly non-verbal. He uses a communication device. Since getting this device, he has started to verbally put together sentences, such as "I want to play." It's pretty awesome. I'm a stay at home mom. Don't have friends. My parents live on the other side of the country, so I'm extra alone! My husband is the best husband I could ask for. He loves our son so much! They have a special bond that I'm frankly getting jealous of! But that's ok. I'm happy they have their special bond. Not much else about me. I enjoy reading, music, crafting (I never have time for), and movies (no time for that either).

Confused122
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

If you ever want someone to chat with ...message me :-) I'm a stay at home mom of three boys.   My youngest will be tested for aspergers and autism on Tuesday.  Happy to listen if you need someone to listen or just chat with!!

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

I joined yesterday. I am in my late 20s. Married for 6 years. I have two children. My son is 5 and my daughter is 3. My son was diagnosed with autism almost 3 years ago. He is mostly non-verbal. He uses a communication device. Since getting this device, he has started to verbally put together sentences, such as "I want to play." It's pretty awesome. I'm a stay at home mom. Don't have friends. My parents live on the other side of the country, so I'm extra alone! My husband is the best husband I could ask for. He loves our son so much! They have a special bond that I'm frankly getting jealous of! But that's ok. I'm happy they have their special bond. Not much else about me. I enjoy reading, music, crafting (I never have time for), and movies (no time for that either).

Dolphin1958
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I am joining this group because I have a 14 year old step-son who joined his dad and I, 6 months ago.  He has what we think is Aspergers as well as anxiety issues.  I made the mistake of taking on the parenting roll since his dad wasn't doing much.  It backfired on me and I have now decided to step back and let his dad make all decisions and I will take a supportive roll.  I did set up an appointment for a behavorial evaluation set for 2 weeks from now.  But since I spend way more time with step-son I need some support for how I can deal with him without really having any authority and how to understand him better. 

granny2texans
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi, I am a granny to 3 wonderful boys (6, twins 5), they are special needs with duchene's MD and one twin also has spectrum disorder/autism, non-verbal, which hasn't been completely diagnosed yet. 

All the boys are in school and doing well.  They and their mom live with us so we can help her with the daily needs of the boys and to give her encouragement and support.  I hope to find encouragement and information for myself to help keep this little family uplifted. 

I am glad to be here and can't wait to hear back from you.  Are there any other granny's in the group? 

Best regards,

Granny2texans

NJMommaK
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
8 moms liked this

hi everyone Im Chris, my amazing young man is Matthew he is 12 years old. He is the youngest of 4, and the only one of my children with ASD. He is an amazing young man and I am so proud of his accomplishments and all the strides he has made since his Dx in 2003. He started in early intervention and is now in Middle School 6Th grade. Althou its an all inclusive class, we are lucky enough to live in a district that has an amazing special needs program and is very open to inclusion in fact pushes for inclusion.  He is rather self sufficent, and his communication skills have sky rocketed. With years of good educatation, patience, understanding and lots of love, he is where he is today!!

boy kissing mom

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Again, welcome to the group.  :)

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Welcome to the group!  It's probably good that you've decided to let your stepson's dad make the parenting decisions, though I'm sure it's hard at times too.

Quoting Dolphin1958:

I am joining this group because I have a 14 year old step-son who joined his dad and I, 6 months ago.  He has what we think is Aspergers as well as anxiety issues.  I made the mistake of taking on the parenting roll since his dad wasn't doing much.  It backfired on me and I have now decided to step back and let his dad make all decisions and I will take a supportive roll.  I did set up an appointment for a behavorial evaluation set for 2 weeks from now.  But since I spend way more time with step-son I need some support for how I can deal with him without really having any authority and how to understand him better. 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Welcome to the group!  How great that you're able to be such a good support to your daughter and grandchildren.

Quoting granny2texans:

Hi, I am a granny to 3 wonderful boys (6, twins 5), they are special needs with duchene's MD and one twin also has spectrum disorder/autism, non-verbal, which hasn't been completely diagnosed yet.

All the boys are in school and doing well. They and their mom live with us so we can help her with the daily needs of the boys and to give her encouragement and support. I hope to find encouragement and information for myself to help keep this little family uplifted.

I am glad to be here and can't wait to hear back from you. Are there any other granny's in the group?

Best regards,

Granny2texans

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN