Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! Please introduce yourself... Get started here!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

Thank you for joining the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group!

This is a great place to find support, advice and friendship from other moms just like you!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. Please make yourself at home and join in!

• To add a New Post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group.
  • To add a Reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.
  • If you're responding to someone's reply, click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the reply that you're commenting on and then add your reply.
  • Once you start posting and replying on the Groups, you can follow up on your conversations using the links under the 'My Activity' tab at the top of every page.

Please introduce yourself in the replies below and then say hello to some of the other moms who've introduced themselves recently. You can 'Quote' their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can 'Like' their replies, as well. Feel free to send out some friend invitations by clicking on the 'friend Invite' link at the bottom of their reply.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

have a nice day  Amy

PS - Here are some helpful links: 

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message. 

We really want you to have a great time in this group!

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Replies (861-870):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Welcome Michele!

Quoting specmom2:

My name is Michele and I am a mom of two disabled children. My son Johnathan is 22 and is autistic. My daughter is 24 and is bi-polar. I work in a special education class room with emotionally disturbed children. I have seen so many kids. I love my job and my kids all of them. 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Hi Jan, welcome!

Quoting jowen905:

Hi, my name is Jan and I have a 12 year old son, Billy.  He was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder @ age 5 and Anxiety Disorder the following year.  At one time his psychologist said he had Asperger's, but in getting a second opinion with a neurologist (who originally diagnosed him with SPD), the neurologist disagreed with the psychologist and didn't feel he has Asperger's.

My son has come a LONG way with his anxiety issues, but he still struggles with fine motor skills, reading comprehension and social awkwardness.  He's entering Middle School (6th grade) this August and is very nervous about it!  He did not quality for an IEP evaluation at school (in 1st grade and 5th grade) but has been set up on a 504 for 6th grade.

My main concerns right now are that his self esteem is suffering (as he's gotten older he realizes the struggles he has socially and with reading comprehension) and he seems to be withdrawing a bit (from us and from social interactions - though he's in the midst of puberty, so that could be part of it).  He has had private tutoring and group, as well as individual, Occupation Therapy over the past years. 

I really feel that something else is going on with him besides Anxiety and SPD.  I'm in the process of having him set up for a full neurological/spectrum disorder evaluation with a neurologist group.

I'm excited about finding this forum group and look forward to interacting with other moms!

Anoronlight
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this

My name is Kelly. I have an amazing 11 dd, whom I love very much. She was diagnosed on the Spectrum last year with PDD, we are currently waiting for the new diagnoses under the new DSM. When she was first diagnosed she was off by one thing...because she "craved' social interaction instead of repealing it, she was never given an Autistic Diagnoses, but under the DSM that has changed, now its more regarding how they react and act in a social situation which my daughter has an issue with.

She also has ID (Intellectual Disability), Mood Disorder: NOS, ADHD, Specific Learning Disability (found out we need more testing for this) and a wide range of other things too.

I'm a SAHM and I take care of my 3 year old son as well. Hubby works a lot and I'm trying to find that balance.

I should also mention that I have a nephew, on my hubby's side,  who is High Functioning, again this changes under the new DSM, so I am working off of old terms. :D

bastet7069
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi all! My name is Jasmin. I have a 10 year old son recently diagnosed with ASD. High functioning autism/Asperger's. Been dealing with behavioral issues since kindergarten. He just has trouble with the social aspect of the world. So relieved to know the REASON behind the behavior finally.

bastet7069
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

The new DSM is how my son was finally diagnosed too. :)

Quoting Anoronlight:

My name is Kelly. I have an amazing 11 dd, whom I love very much. She was diagnosed on the Spectrum last year with PDD, we are currently waiting for the new diagnoses under the new DSM. When she was first diagnosed she was off by one thing...because she "craved' social interaction instead of repealing it, she was never given an Autistic Diagnoses, but under the DSM that has changed, now its more regarding how they react and act in a social situation which my daughter has an issue with.

She also has ID (Intellectual Disability), Mood Disorder: NOS, ADHD, Specific Learning Disability (found out we need more testing for this) and a wide range of other things too.

I'm a SAHM and I take care of my 3 year old son as well. Hubby works a lot and I'm trying to find that balance.

I should also mention that I have a nephew, on my hubby's side,  who is High Functioning, again this changes under the new DSM, so I am working off of old terms. :D

Cafe MichelleP
by Group Admin on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Welcome to the group Jasmin.

Quoting bastet7069:

Hi all! My name is Jasmin. I have a 10 year old son recently diagnosed with ASD. High functioning autism/Asperger's. Been dealing with behavioral issues since kindergarten. He just has trouble with the social aspect of the world. So relieved to know the REASON behind the behavior finally.

Cafe MichelleP
by Group Admin on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Hi Kelly! Welcome to the group.

Quoting Anoronlight:

Anoronlight
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

lol Michelle, your popular aren't you? I've seen you in other places too. :D

And thanks!

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Hi Kelly! Welcome to the group.

Quoting Anoronlight:

ZekesMom110
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi I have three sons (Zeke 3, Corbin 1, and Lincoln 2 months) with my amazing husband of 6 years. Zeke was diagnosed in January. Still very overwhelmed and confused by the massive amount of information.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Hi Kelly!  Welcome to the group.  :)

Quoting Anoronlight:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)