Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Different Symptoms for Different Children...

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone,

I have some concerns about my son and Autism. He is 4 years old and even though I was told he does not have Autism when he was younger, he seems to be showing some signs according to my online research. He throws HUGE fits (stomping on the ground, screaming, and crying to the point that he makes himself sick), my husband and I must tell him things at least 6 times in order for him to understand what he needs to do and he cannot do anything we ask if we ask him to do more than one thing at a time. He gets very confused and starts to wonder off to do his own things. We have noticed that when we are talking to him that he has A LOT of difficulties standing still and his eyes start to wonder in different directions.My son also cannot get dressed fully on his own. He can take a shower, brush his teeth, and put his clothes on, but things like buttoning his pants, putting clothes and shoes on the right way (he usually puts his underwear, pants, and shirts on backwards and his shoes on the wrong feet) and tying or attempting to tie his shoes is out of the question. He also has very poor speech. He is seeing a speech therapist and an occupational therapist and neither one of them can seem to figure out what is wrong. Many people in my family say he is just being lazy as he can say the alphabet (it doesn't sound REALLY good most of the time, but I can understand it) and write his name. Does anything sound like some symptoms of Autism? I will bring it up to his doctor and therapists again, but I was just wondering. I am of course scared to find out; I hope to get some answers before I go insane!

Thank you!

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Honestly, to me, it doesn't sound like autism, but it does sound like you have some issues. Some things sound really advanced to me, like writing his name.

I would check out a developmental pediatrician or children's hospital near you. To me, it sounds like ADHD. Even though ABA is specifically for autism, some people have consulted a behaviorist for problem behaviors and that might help as well. I would also check out Ross Greene's book The Explosive Child

jeda1429
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My son has autism and has trouble following multiple step directions, but I know that can be a symptomof ADHD as well. Poor speech can be a symptom of autism. Does he have any social issues? Autism is a social disorder and a lot of the symptoms will have to do with socializing and communicating.

BKozICan
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Sounds similar tommy little guy. He was evaluated as not having autism at 2 and as autistic at 4. It is a subjective determination on a chold that is different every day.

Lilbit0700
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Get him into OT  from public school

Kimmiky
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting jeda1429:

My son has autism and has trouble following multiple step directions, but I know that can be a symptomof ADHD as well. Poor speech can be a symptom of autism. Does he have any social issues? Autism is a social disorder and a lot of the symptoms will have to do with socializing and communicating.

I agree. My son is 4 and has language delays, but his most noticeable symptoms or characteristics are that he can't communicate his wants and needs and is unable to respond to questions and demands of other people.

scarlita88
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

he is a lot(!!!) like my boy... who is six and a half and finally got a diagnoses in nov. after years of  trying to get people to really hear my concerns. and this was almost an accident. i took a rating for aspergers(gilliam) without knowing that was what the test was for. he sounds like an above average iq and cognitivewith high functioning like l.b.j. who by the way... still cant dress or bath him self.but reads on a 2nd grade level. and yes i am still having bizarre reactions to his diagnoses...take care!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BKozICan:

Sounds similar tommy little guy. He was evaluated as not having autism at 2 and as autistic at 4. It is a subjective determination on a chold that is different every day.

this is true. my kid is adhd/pdd-nos borderline. i don't know how else to describe it. his doc dx'd him with adhd and stated that he met the pdd-nos criteria but that he thinks, ultimately its not pdd-nos.

on a therapy basis, i'm treating it as pdd-nos b/c there's never been a study that says "kid harmed by too much intervention" also all the skills that are taught to kids on the spectrum -- social skills, social stories, visual schedules, etc -- all of those are SO helpful to my kid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)