Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Meltdowns

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
My son had a huge meltdown today. He is not feeling well and when he came home from school, my daughter started to bother him. He got do angry that my husband had to physically restrain him so that he could calm down. My son is 12 1/2 and is rather big for his age. Both my husband and I are still able to physically able to hold him down now, but I am concerned that when he gets just a little bigger we won't be able to and I don't want him to hurt himself or accidentally hurt someone else. He does have a psychologist that he can talk to but she will not be back until next week. Does anyone have any things that have done with their older children that have been successful? I open to ideas.
Thanks in advance.
He is diagnosed with aspegers ppd-nos.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My daughter got really sick at Christmas time, and OMG it was non stop meltdowns for over a week. I hadn't seen her like that in over a year, it was scary because I didn't think it was going to end! It did though, she's fine now. I think its hard to do much to help when they're sick like that. He probably just needs alone time, quiet and recouperation.

GELiz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I have a friend who is currently working on a company called symbionics and they at the college are creating a wrist band that reads your bio cues- liek bp and other stuff- so that you can tell whena melt down is coming and teaches the child to recognize the feelings that come before a meltdown so they can get somewhere safe and not hurt someone. It is in the testing phase- people are working hard to come up with technology that will make your lives better. hang in there and pray that it comes to market soon.

Lilbit0700
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Have aplace for him to calm down sometime we give our son his Ds to calm him down. If he is verbal remind him when he is calm please try to use your words. Also remind his sister not bother him when he is not feeling like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)