Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Study Finds Up To 50% Can Lose Autism Diagnosis

So a study was done following some children with autism. It was found that 1-20% lost diagnosis, and when early intervention and intense behavioral therapy was done, up to 40-50% of kids could lose diagnosis. Some social symptoms are thought to remain, but they would no longer be considered on the spectrum.

This is a link to the scientific article (link)

Here is a link to a video about this that was on the news today (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

I think what bothers me most is the parents who say "well if the kid improved enough to lose their diagnosis, then they must not have had autism to begin with".  I mean all of our kids have gone through the rigorous testing processes to get the diagnosis, some of us do ABA, some do diet, some do supplements, some just do special ED classes.  But regardless we all work hard with our kids and should we should all be so lucky as to have a child that loses the diagnosis of ASD, or improves to a point where they can live a happy independent life with autism. 

i agree.that bothers me too.

Marcy_182
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

That what we are working for... i do believe they can all improve and get better

Our son was dx with sever autism now they are saying aspergers 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Gosh, I know what you mean. If my son shows any significant improvement, I just KNOW my mother in law is going to say "See, I told you that if you just 'wait it out' he'll 'catch up' to his peers...all kids develop at their own rate...etc. etc." and I'm going to lose my mind when she does! 

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

I think what bothers me most is the parents who say "well if the kid improved enough to lose their diagnosis, then they must not have had autism to begin with".  I mean all of our kids have gone through the rigorous testing processes to get the diagnosis, some of us do ABA, some do diet, some do supplements, some just do special ED classes.  But regardless we all work hard with our kids and should we should all be so lucky as to have a child that loses the diagnosis of ASD, or improves to a point where they can live a happy independent life with autism. 

Lilbit0700
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I think can but it depends on the therapy and what cause like genetic or something else like my son.Also the research have found most people with Autism really have mion brain damage not found on regular x-ray.

Alma4Mom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I hope he does lose the diagnosis but he EEG showed abnormalities that will be there through adulthood!

Telephus44
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I suspect that my son will lose it at some point (the diagnosis, that is).  I believe that while he'll always have autism, that he'll learn how to navigate the world as a "normal" person.  He's made huge progress from age 3 to age 6.  A lot of that I attribute to that fact that he has a really high IQ.  So he can learn how to act "normal."

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Showed this article to our ABA tutor and she wanted me to email it to her. I can already see progress in the 5 months she has been working with him. I dont know if he will always have ASD dx but am working towards the goal of him being able to live in the world without a lot if any assistance. 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

This study is true.  I was told by my son's psychologist that my son may grow out of his mild Autism.

drpatriot
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

This study is nothing but snake oil people. You do NOT lose autism. It is with you your whole life. You learn coping mechanisms to make it appear less than normal. You WILL have lapses and it will come back.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM

This. I believe that there isn't a 'cure' out there for it. I believe that it is just learning how to cope better. 

Quoting MommyRJ:

I always hope my son can just have a life someday. Without me. That's all I want. Is for him to be Independent.

But I can say.... I hate hate hate hearing "cured", its not a disease or cancer, it doesn't just go away after therapy. He will have autism forever, but it's something (hopefully) he can live with

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I have always had high hopes! I think some parents need to be reminded that there really is hope. This is up to 50% recovery, that's not even getting into how many of the other 50% improve greatly and function well in society, while still considered having autism. I just wish doctors and psychiatrists would give parents this optimistic view of autism when their kids are diagnosed.

Quoting MommyRJ:

I believe it. My son has shown major improvements in the past year. Not to say he can't regress tomorrow, but it's hopeful and I can see how it happens. That's kind if the point of therapy right? To get them functioning to be independent etc.... If ds could handle things on his own(school, work, living) I wouldntwanthim to still have the "severe" tagged on him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN