Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Study Finds Up To 50% Can Lose Autism Diagnosis

So a study was done following some children with autism. It was found that 1-20% lost diagnosis, and when early intervention and intense behavioral therapy was done, up to 40-50% of kids could lose diagnosis. Some social symptoms are thought to remain, but they would no longer be considered on the spectrum.

This is a link to the scientific article (link)

Here is a link to a video about this that was on the news today (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
drpatriot
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

The title is: Optimal outcomes in individuals with a history of autism

You really think that's bs? Apparently its not just a bs meter you have, apparently you also have an incredible gift of making optomistic people have no hope, and for being really negative about life. How's that working out for you?

Quoting drpatriot:

You are forgetting that autistics have bull sh*t meters and I can just look at the title of the report and know that it is full of bs.

I dont have to think. I know in my heart of hearts that it is bs. It fuels the parents desires a perfect child which is disgusting and heartless. It keeps me from being hurt by lies which is what that report is full of.  You need to develop a negative thick skin approach in order to live with autism. That is what I am having to do here because I have NO OTHER options open given where I live. Wake up and smell the REAL coffee. I have.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I don't believe in perfect, nobody is perfect and why would they want to be? You don't know me. You are miserable and you could probably use some medication. Seriously, I believe you when you say you don't have to think. I don't develop a negative thick skin to live with autism, my daughter is a wonderful gift, and makes me happy and full of hope every day. My life is good and so is hers. Wow. You're just really sad.

Quoting drpatriot:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

You really think that's bs? Apparently its not just a bs meter you have, apparently you also have an incredible gift of making optomistic people have no hope, and for being really negative about life. How's that working out for you?

Quoting drpatriot:

You are forgetting that autistics have bull sh*t meters and I can just look at the title of the report and know that it is full of bs.

I dont have to think. I know in my heart of hearts that it is bs. It fuels the parents desires a perfect child which is disgusting and heartless. It keeps me from being hurt by lies which is what that report is full of.  You need to develop a negative thick skin approach in order to live with autism. That is what I am having to do here because I have NO OTHER options open given where I live. Wake up and smell the REAL coffee. I have.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

drpatriot
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Then what kind of parent are you. Parents desire a perfect baby unless they are like Sara Palin or Rick Santorum who are the rare ones that embrace their child's imperfections which is rare these days. Then explain the angel of mercy mothers who MURDER their autistic children. You have to develop a negative thick skin. I have tried medications and they don't work for me. I have tried talk therapy for TWENTY FIVE years. It was a complete and total failure and waste of time. You need to remove the rose color glasses there and face the cold hard truth which I have. They abort Down Syndrome babies at 80-90 percent rates. It is only a mater of time before they start gunning for autistics. Oh I see you probably missed the memo about how some cities want us to register as if we are pedophiles when we are not.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I don't believe in perfect, nobody is perfect and why would they want to be? You don't know me. You are miserable and you could probably use some medication. Seriously, I believe you when you say you don't have to think. I don't develop a negative thick skin to live with autism, my daughter is a wonderful gift, and makes me happy and full of hope every day. My life is good and so is hers. Wow. You're just really sad.

Quoting drpatriot:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I'm glad you're not my mother.

Quoting drpatriot:

Then what kind of parent are you. Parents desire a perfect baby unless they are like Sara Palin or Rick Santorum who are the rare ones that embrace their child's imperfections which is rare these days. Then explain the angel of mercy mothers who MURDER their autistic children. You have to develop a negative thick skin. I have tried medications and they don't work for me. I have tried talk therapy for TWENTY FIVE years. It was a complete and total failure and waste of time. You need to remove the rose color glasses there and face the cold hard truth which I have. They abort Down Syndrome babies at 80-90 percent rates. It is only a mater of time before they start gunning for autistics. Oh I see you probably missed the memo about how some cities want us to register as if we are pedophiles when we are not.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

drpatriot
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Okay try making this little fact optimistic: only 12% of autistic adults (22+) have full time meaning full employment. Those are probably only the ones that have come out of the closet about their disability. Think of all the ones who haven't and fear if they do they will be fired and an illegal immigrant will be hired in their place. Oh here is another one you can try to make optimistic too. It is perfectly legal to hire the intellectually challenged which autism is for SUB miminal wages here in America.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Well, since they've proven that up to 50% lose their diagnosis, then I find your facts a little skewed if you look at the bigger picture. 22 years ago the therapies were not as they are today. I don't want to get into this with you anymore. Let me leave you to your misery, I wouldn't want to take that away from you when you seem so comfortable in it...

I chose optimism.

Quoting drpatriot:

Okay try making this little fact optimistic: only 12% of autistic adults (22+) have full time meaning full employment. Those are probably only the ones that have come out of the closet about their disability. Think of all the ones who haven't and fear if they do they will be fired and an illegal immigrant will be hired in their place. Oh here is another one you can try to make optimistic too. It is perfectly legal to hire the intellectually challenged which autism is for SUB miminal wages here in America.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

marisab
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM

well u never lose diagnosis but the diagnosis levelw ell change with proper help

drpatriot
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM

No they are NOT skewed. They come from FEDERAL sources. I read about them on a site called Disability Scoop. Sooner or later the viper WILL bite ya and you will be saying to yourself the Doctor was right. Autism was on the damn radar until about 1995. Gen Xer's like myself were MIS diagnosed. I was originally diagnosed learning disabled. They are not proven. They are a lie and will ALWAYS be a lie. Have fun bumping your head against professionals. They tell you one thing and really mean another. I love sharing the misery and reality that is TRUE autism.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Well, since they've proven that up to 50% lose their diagnosis, then I find your facts a little skewed if you look at the bigger picture. 22 years ago the therapies were not as they are today. I don't want to get into this with you anymore. Let me leave you to your misery, I wouldn't want to take that away from you when you seem so comfortable in it...

I chose optimism.

Quoting drpatriot:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Get help lady, autism doesn't need people like you, you do no favors for anyone with an attitude like that

Quoting drpatriot:

No they are NOT skewed. They come from FEDERAL sources. I read about them on a site called Disability Scoop. Sooner or later the viper WILL bite ya and you will be saying to yourself the Doctor was right. Autism was on the damn radar until about 1995. Gen Xer's like myself were MIS diagnosed. I was originally diagnosed learning disabled. They are not proven. They are a lie and will ALWAYS be a lie. Have fun bumping your head against professionals. They tell you one thing and really mean another. I love sharing the misery and reality that is TRUE autism.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I chose optimism.

Quoting drpatriot:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting drpatriot:

dommad2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
This. My nephew will be mainstreamed next year and I can see them dropping his dx within a year or two after. He is making vast improvements!!

Quoting Jadnorton:

I can believe it. My sons will probably be gone next year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)