Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Respite Care?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 5 Replies

We will soon be interviewing respite care providers for our son.  Just wondering if anyone has been through this process before?  I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of questions we should be asking during the interview process.  

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I would definately ask questions about their policy for reporting accidents and incidents. I would ask their qualifications, if they are cpr and first aid qualified. I would ask what is their policy for a runner. I went through the interview process and chose a person who i thought would be good for my son. I ended up quitting respite due to the fact my child is nonverbal and could not tell me if anything occured. Plus I have another child that they could not watch. So for me I would have still had to find another sitter for my second child. It wasn't worth it. One of the things I also said is that I would not allow anyone into my home without me or my husband being there. Not even family members. I wanted to make sure that they only would focus on my ds. Also I made it a point in case of emergency that they call 911 first then call me. I would hate it if they called me first and my child was in need of urgent care. I told them no smoking around my child. They could smoke before or after care. I also asked their work experience. I wanted to know if they previously worked with children on the spectrum. I talked about meltdowns and things that would calm my son down. I would give a scenario and ask them to tell me what they would do. Be sure to let them know about your child's likes and dislikes. Don't be afraid to ask anything that you think is important. You have to remember they are interviewing you as well. If you feel they just don't fit then keep looking. Good luck in your search

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, so hard to trust our children to anyone. I think questions are good but in the end I think it is a feeling thing, when the right person comes along you will know it. Hold out for someone you feel good about. I don't know your son's issues but someone sensitve, kind, gentle, patient, all those basic qualities are so important. Good luck, I don't envy you the task. I hope you find someone wonderful and that your son comes to loves them in time.

LStambaugh
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you for the advice!  I'm really nervous about finding someone so I appreciate the input.

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I would ask them what was their major in college. In addition, I would ask them what kind of training or experience that they have had with disabled children. The best college majors for respite care would be for your son, if they are in college right now, are nursing, social work, psychology, and education. 

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

kinshipcaremama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM
My son has "assistants" to help him with community inclusion and recreational activities. I look for applicants who are/were psychology or special education majors. We've had the best luck with psychology students. The main thing is your gut feeling. If you have any negative feelings you have to move on to the next person. This is a hard process but when you find the right person it will make your lives so much better!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN