Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child go to a preschool autism class that is ABA based?

My son right now is in a non-cat SN preschool, but in march they will transfer him to the aba class.

i personally think his language skills are pretty good, not great. Less than average but he can hang with his NT peers in that respect.

But his self-regulation skills are horrible. Sitting and working on something he needs one-on-one, etc. Circle time is so hard for him, etc. So they decided for the PAC class for him. i can't wait until march!

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Replies (31-38):
VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Wow he does look older, he must be tall for his age! Cutie.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

My son turned 4 in Nov. Let me share a pic of him I took today :) He looks like he is 6 years old!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Wow he does look older, he must be tall for his age! Cutie.

he's a tall one. he towers over all of the kids in any class he is in lol :)

he gets it from his dad cause i am only 5 ft tall hehehe

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Yep, I'm a redhead too! She's my mini me

she's gorgeous!

by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure she will be fine too. She is "high functioning" (though I am not a big fan of labeling functioning levels) and she is very smart. She is for the most part complaint, especially in new situations where she is figuring it all out (hence why she did so well at the preschool evals), but she has some language problems. She can talk, she can request what she needs and wants for the most part. But if you offer her a choice she will just repeat the last thing said back to you. If you try to have a conversation with her it is all over the place and almost never on topic. When kids try to talk to her she says "yeah" or just stares blankly at them. She is starting to get interested in playing with other kids, but she gets distracted so easily that she wanders off, and the other kids get frusterated with her. I know she will be fine academically, but I do worry about her ability to make friends as she gets older. Also, almost all her skills are inconsistent. Sometimes she can do something, and then the next trial she can't. It is extremely frustrating. She doesn't answer to her name (still), nor does she have eye contact. She has been in OT since Feb. last year, and 2 hours a day aba since August. She has come so far and has had amazing progress with the aba. It has made such a huge difference. Last year when we started OT she barely spoke and it was mostly echolalia, she graduated to scripting, and now a lot of spontaneous speech. She went from not pointing, not even attempting joint attention, to pointing, and trying joint attention. She went from refusing to looking at some one's face, to looking at a face (still no eyes). I am very happy with the progress she has made. 

We won't persue the school any more. We will home school her, just like my 2 older girls and do in home aba. I hope we can get an OT though. Her sensory issues make a lot of social outings very difficult.  

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting 03071012:

I don't honestly believe she was given a fair and objective evaluation. They said that her autism is not going to get in the way of her learning. Basically because she preformed really well for their evaluations and they refused any of our EI aba data and refused all of our information. They said if they didn't see it it want there. They did not accept or medical diagnosis of pdd-nos. And they said she wad to smart.

We are military. Tricare pays for or aba.

I really think your dd is going to be okay. Here is a testimony of another parent whose kid, i think, sounds like yours:

Quote:

When we did ABA for our son, we hired a behavioral consultant (look for one who is a BCBA - Board Certified Behavior Analyst) who created and ran our son's home program. We hired college students to be the instructors/therapists, and the consultant trained them. Cynthia Onder is an excellent consultant - she is based in Bethesda. I think ABA literally saved our son's life - we are huge proponents. We did 40 hours a week beginning when he was two. He is now in kindergarten, in a regular mainstream private school, and is thriving. Best of luck to you.

Another option is to get an educational advocate. I am finally getting one. It is money, but I know the county and other sources can offer you an educational advocate for free if your income qualifies. In my area, you qualified if you make less than $70K per year. I live in a very expensive area, which is both good and bad :/

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Yes. Early intervention was also ABA. 

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Our school isn't ABA but I think they use some of the ideas as needed with my son. He goes to regular public prek but he has his own personal aid at all times because like you circle time and other activites are hard for him. So the aid keeps him as non distractive as possible while trying to slowly work him towards the others. Even if he is going something else entirely but sitting on the carpet near circle time ya know. I want to hire the women to move in with us, lol. I love her to death and she is amazing with Cace

Marcy_182
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Our son goes to a typical school and he gets ABA at home

marcie1455
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is in a pre-k class that does not have ABA, however he receives ABA therapy two days a week at home after school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN