Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
With autism comes sensory issues and one of the big one with my son is water.Im not sure what it is about the water in the shower but now he just refuses to take showers.It takes forever to get hm into one..He tells me he doesnt like the water. Any sugesstions or any one been through this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (11-17):
VeroKarr
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

That has happened to me before with my daughter. What has worked for me is to wait until she's falling asleep (even when she's already sleeping) and tell her she's safe, that I only want the best for her, that I love her and so on. She loves the water and I remind her of that, how fun is to play in the water, etc.

I also start blowing bubbles in the bathroom to get her to come in and I put all the toys around the tub so she can see them and she can chose what she wants to play with.

Good luck!

austin_mom07
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I have one of those shower heads that have the different settings on them for what the water feels like..i never thought about that but i am going to try that tonighthugs

Quoting lady_katie:

Just a thought - could you try getting one of those shower heads that have a hose attached? They have settings on them to change the way that the water feels. Maybe he would feel more comfortable being able to face the water away from himself when he's feeling overwhelmed. The control he'll have over the water might help. 

Quoting austin_mom07:

Unfortunatly i dont have a bathtub or i would have tried that.It must be the way the shower feels..what am i suppose to do not shower my kid?He has to get clean somehow right?I do feel for him.

VeroKarr
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Have you tried changing the shower head for a wand? That way you can direct the flow of water directly to him and maybe he can play with it. And playing music could be a good idea too. Just an idea. 

Quoting austin_mom07:

Unfortunatly i dont have a bathtub or i would have tried that.It must be the way the shower feels..what am i suppose to do not shower my kid?He has to get clean somehow right?I do feel for him.

austin_mom07
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No but i will consider doing that.

Quoting VeroKarr:

Have you tried changing the shower head for a wand? That way you can direct the flow of water directly to him and maybe he can play with it. And playing music could be a good idea too. Just an idea. 

Quoting austin_mom07:

jeda1429
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My son is eleven and he still takes baths.... sorry not helpful. But he still hates washing his hair in the tub so sometimes I wash it in the sink.

Marcy_182
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

try one of those plastic bins (storage) or a kid pool give him an option he can take a super fast shower or a bath. Do a little story book about his favortite item taking shower or bath getting all cleaned up and make it part or his routine. Hope it helps

Quoting austin_mom07:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Mine will be 12 in April and will only take baths. The shower freaks him out... he hates the water going over his face and head. i just do whatever works for him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN