Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Homeschooling and Aspergers - Anyone else?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am Robin and I am homeschooling my 11 year old Aspie son.

We have homeschooled since birth really, but started officially with him when he was about 4 years old in 2005.  We did not find out about his dx until he was 7.5 when I finally got fed up with his pediatrician and found a new doctor.

I posted in the homeschool forums to.

So anyone else homeschool an aspie??

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaFrankie
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
No, but here is a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's not an aspie - I'm an autistic parent though, and my son is homeschooled, he was diagnosed with autism and recently schizophrenia. he's gonna be 9 in march.

MamaFrankie
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Kudos to the both of you for homeschooling. i unfortunately financially can not afford to make tht commitment

Quoting kajira:

My son's not an aspie - I'm an autistic parent though, and my son is homeschooled, he was diagnosed with autism and recently schizophrenia. he's gonna be 9 in march.

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

depending on the needs of your child, you could get paid to be their caretaker if you choose to homeschool. I qualify to be paid for my son's care since he's a full time job and not recommended to be in public school - i couldn't work if I wanted too, so we qualify for supplemental incomes for that.

there's options if you look into it.

Quoting MamaFrankie:

Kudos to the both of you for homeschooling. i unfortunately financially can not afford to make tht commitment

Quoting kajira:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Apple1
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

depending on the needs of your child, you could get paid tobe their caretaker if you choose to homeschool. I qualify to be paid for my son's care since he's a full time job and not recommended to be in public school - i couldn't work if I wanted too, so we qualify for supplemental incomes for that.

Curious where you live.  I live in Oregon and homeschool my son who has severe autism and is 6 years of age.  He takes so many meds and needs so much extra care.  Where do you go to possibly be paid to be a care taker?  Need more info :)

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM

SSI disability will cover a caretaker income - parents can qualify for it depending on the child.

You just have to look into it.

He qualifies for both SSI disability, and we qualify for being caretakers for him because of him requiring 24/7 supervision.

Quoting Apple1:

Quote:

depending on the needs of your child, you could get paid tobe their caretaker if you choose to homeschool. I qualify to be paid for my son's care since he's a full time job and not recommended to be in public school - i couldn't work if I wanted too, so we qualify for supplemental incomes for that.

Curious where you live.  I live in Oregon and homeschool my son who has severe autism and is 6 years of age.  He takes so many meds and needs so much extra care.  Where do you go to possibly be paid to be a care taker?  Need more info :)

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

jacobnatesmom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

My son diagnosed Asperger's and ADHD is being cyber-schooled.  He attends Connections Academy... he does all of his work here at home... I am his learning coach and he has a teacher through the school.  His teacher is in touch with him through webmail, bi-weekly phone calls.

SagaMom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Thank you all for you comments.  I don't know too many people where I live that are homeschooling an aspie.  There are a few people that do homeschool their SN children though.  We don't get to see many of them though.

My son does qualify for SSI but it is not a guarenteed income each month b/c it is based on his dad's income.  So some months we just have to play things by ear.  I guess I don't qualify for the 'caretaker' portion though as he does not need round the clock care.

My biggest issue right now is trying to find funds to pay for dyslexia testing.

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

You could ask your school district to screen him for dyslexia. 

MommaHubbard
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is a recently diagnosed Aspie and I would love to homeschool but I can't afford that (I have to work-single mom). However, I am considering taking my son out of public school and having him attend his ABA therapy all day and do a home-schooling program while he's there. But his father is worried that my son needs to learn how to socialize with "normal" kids. I'm hoping intensive therapy while he's younger will help him better now, so that maybe he will have a little less of a hard time as he gets older. I have a friend who's son is autistic and sent him to an all-day therapy program where the did school-work there for 9 mos and has reported a HUGE difference in her son. He is 11 yrs old now and makes A's in public school and has lots of friends. They still do a lot of work with him even though he is doing so well-they are enrolling him in an after-school cognitive program (not just for kids on the spectrum) this spring.I'm not sure what the best choice for my little man will be at this point. As of Tuesday, he will still stay in public school and attend ABA therapy for 2 hrs a day after-school. If our insurance will cover more, I will try to talk with my son's dad about the "home-school" option that we could afford. I like the idea of my son being able to work at his own pace with things-like doing kindergarten level math at the same time as he does third grade reading. Public school can't really offer that kind-of flexibility. How do you combat the socialization stuff?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)