Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

not diagnosed they say its too early something is wrong though

Posted by   + Show Post

NEED HELP!!!!!

my son is 18 months old and has violent tantrums. he gets mad very easy and bangs his head to the point of serious bruises and knots. he pinches and slaps himself and me. he has screaming fits that can be from 5 min to an hour or more i have tried time out talking distractions and sadly even spanking ( lightly tapping his hand when he hits). nothing is helping. i talked to his doctor and he says he is jjust a boy hitting that stage but i see it as more. i worry hes autistic but they say its too early to diagnose. i need help im so overwhelmed i have been breaking down and crying with him

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
Confused122
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Can I ask what a sensory diet is??  Thanks :-)

Quoting lady_katie:

No way - 18 months is NOT too early for a diagnosis. In some cases they can even diagnose autism before one year of age. I recently had an autism evaluation center try to tell me that it cannot be diagnosed before 2 1/2 ... I found myself educating them! Can you believe that? Of all the people who should know what they're talking about....ugh. 

Anyway, I think that others have already mentioned this, but you can have him evaluated by your county's early intervention program. It only took a few weeks from the time I made the initial phone call to them to start therapy. Also, you don't need a doctor to refer your son for an autism evaluation, you can do that yourself. Waiting lists can be very long though, so don't hesitate to start the process. 

My son is also 18 months and he has the same behaviors that you've mentioned. At this point, the best strategies I've found to deal with it is to have a strict routine with a good balance between activities and down time, and to make every effort to avoid the tantrum in the first place. Having a good "sensory diet" seems to help a bit too. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Your instincts are probably right, something isn't right when children can hurt themselves like that. If your doctor won't help you just need a new doctor, don't settle until someone takes you seriously. Keep a journal of his unusual behavior, it might help the docs take you seriously.

Good luck honey, we are with you!! Welcome to the group.

GELiz
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

All Great advice. You moms are just so terrific.

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Doctors can be so quick to dismiss their behavior. The question to ask is how is he hitting his milestones. If he is not up to speed with his peers you can still get involved with early intervention.

kris0921
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I want to get my son tested as well. He will be 2 in April, but has some simularities to my nephew with autism!

Eve-marie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Go to a child psychologist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

tell your dr. you want a refferal to get him evaluated .if they wont give you one i would find a new dr.

^This. As soon as possible.

Marcy_182
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

it is not too early to dx you need an evaluation ASAP ask your doctor for a referral

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Here's a link to a bunch of info on it: http://sensorysmarts.com/sensory_diet_activities.html

Quoting Confused122:

Can I ask what a sensory diet is??  Thanks :-)

Quoting lady_katie:

No way - 18 months is NOT too early for a diagnosis. In some cases they can even diagnose autism before one year of age. I recently had an autism evaluation center try to tell me that it cannot be diagnosed before 2 1/2 ... I found myself educating them! Can you believe that? Of all the people who should know what they're talking about....ugh. 

Anyway, I think that others have already mentioned this, but you can have him evaluated by your county's early intervention program. It only took a few weeks from the time I made the initial phone call to them to start therapy. Also, you don't need a doctor to refer your son for an autism evaluation, you can do that yourself. Waiting lists can be very long though, so don't hesitate to start the process. 

My son is also 18 months and he has the same behaviors that you've mentioned. At this point, the best strategies I've found to deal with it is to have a strict routine with a good balance between activities and down time, and to make every effort to avoid the tantrum in the first place. Having a good "sensory diet" seems to help a bit too. 

emarin77
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Does he not point, put toys/cars in lines?  Did he talk to early or too late?  These are all signs of Autism too.  If his doctor will not diagnose him have a pediatric psychologist diagnose him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)