Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is it a crime to be a single mother with two loving children, full time student and having an autistic son that I dearly love?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
  • 11 Replies
I don't know how many of us here are single parents, it is very upsetting already that our system is broken. Additional to this is a workplace that underestimate me. I work as a part time pharmacy technician and I was been very honest about my situation in the beginning. I specifically told them that I can't have a fix availability. Now the management change, I have been begging them to give me just a few hours to work in a week so that I can take care of my children. I have talked to human resources, my new manager and the one who is doing the schedule. They know I have a son with disability and that he is getting therapy after school. Do I need to keep begging them or should I just go ahead and let it go? How about my rights, should I get them investigate and why thw are not giving me any hours to work? I have no other means of resources and that I love my job because patients do like me and I felt being treated as a family. I don't trust this new management and they can't even look me directly in the eye. Do I need to wait for them to terminate me? Anyone know about Kroger Pharmacy policy? I only want to give the best life for my children while I can and I have no family here in Georgia. Should I go ahead and talk to a lawyer? I do appreciate any thoughts from every loving parents out there.....
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Georgia is an "at will" state, which means that your employer can fire you with no notice and for almost any reason.  Your best bet will probably be to file for unemployment, if you qualify.  Even if they haven't fired you, you can qualify if they have reduced your hours.   

blessedhappymom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you looked into FMLA? A friend of mine was able to do this as her daughter had a illness that required frequent doctor's appointments so she was able to take those days as needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lynne78g
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Thank you....I know what you mean and they really don't care. I am just afraid to file an unemployment because I know I still have a job except the new management is giving me a hard time. I will call people around and see what else I can find on my behalf. Have a nice week and greatly appreciate the support. It means a lot.
lynne78g
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Not yet, but I will go ahead and put that on my list. I am trying to figure things out how can I survive to take care of my children. I still want to fight for my job and that's why I am trying to see what is the right thing to do. The pharmacy department in non union and this company is more like a politics. This means a lot to me how you are giving me a moral support. I just need to hold on and not to lose hope. I know there's a reason for everything. I greatly appreciate your support. Have a great week.
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, I miss read your post.  I thought that they weren't giving you enough hours, now I read it again and see that you want to work less hours. 

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions.  If your family would be helpful, maybe you could consider moving near family.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm so sorry for what you're going thru right now. All I can say is I give single moms so much credit , but a single mom of an autistic child deserves so much more. I hope your situation changes.... So many things in life are so unfair and just never make any sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lynne78g
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have any family here. They are all overseas. Just me and my children are here. There dad is also in town, but I don't bother him that much unless it is necessity for my children. I can't work full time or else my son will not get his therapy at all. The system need to know about my pay checks and that considering I got help from my ex, my son is not qualify to many things compared to others who is disabled. I am really thinking about applying for unemployment because no one would understand what I am going through with everything. My pharmacy coordinator keep saying that because of my availability. I told her that since the management change they omitted me in scheduling. Only few hours a week that I am asking so that I can continue my son's therapy. I used to be full time, but Kroger companies benefits will not sustain my son's need in therapy and I am not rich at all. I live pay check by pay check, but now that the new management will not work with my availability I felt I am being discriminated with my son being deficit. All I need is for them to understand my situation because I don't handle the system. I have seen mother's with their children and they are living together with their children's father and they are more fortunate to get the help they needed from the system. I know everything is not fair, but I am only following what is said by the book. I greatly appreciate your support and you have done a lot of things for me as far as replying to my posts. This is not going to be easy, but I will keep holding on that hope is always here.
Shardep
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If they're going to fire you let them! Don't quit, you won't be able to draw unemployment
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shardep:

If they're going to fire you let them! Don't quit, you won't be able to draw unemployment

I agree! If you quit, you make it easy on the bastards! If they let you go, you can file for unemployment. I am separated from my husband and he hates his job and hours. He wants to quit! I could throttle him! We'll have no insurance except for COBRA, which is so expensive, plus no severance pay or unemployment. Ugh. My heart goes out to you. This is not easy!

lynne78g
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)