Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know how to stop a child from fixating on video games to the point where it is all they can talk about? We have taken away all video games except totally safe ones and our son continues to throw tantrums over it. He hears his friends at school talk about the newest violent game they have played and I don't allow those in our home. Any creative ideas to redirect? I am at a loss. He stayed up until almost 11 p.m. last night obsessing over it and throwing tantrums. Help?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Replies (11-14):
busymommy98
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Ok to the mom who got anxious when we were talking about obsessions, what I should have added as well is it is not only fixation on the games, when he can't have the violent ones, he will put holes in his walls and throw any object he can get his hands on. We have the destructive behavior as well. That is why I posted the question. I have tried many things so you ask other moms because more than likely someone has a solution that would work.

Fergablu2
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

My neurotypical son is a video game addict, and loves to tell me about his games which is about as interesting to me as my knitting is to him. I have failed epically in that arena, but maybe if you had ironclad times for sessions of game playing, it might help. My autistic son is too low functioning to have obsessions, and he seldom has tantrums unless he is sick or in pain, and doesn't speak at all. 

Autism Mom since 2001
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I was just offering a viewpoint from the other side of things.  The extra information doesn't change my reaction much.  The thought of not having access to my special interests still makes me anxious. If I were continually denied access to my interests when I felt the need to engage in them, it probably wouldn't take me long to get to the point of melting down and breaking things (maybe a week tops).    

Removing access to an interest (which is generally an outlet for stress, anxiety etc.) without replacing the interest with something else usually ends badly.   

Quoting busymommy98:

Ok to the mom who got anxious when we were talking about obsessions, what I should have added as well is it is not only fixation on the games, when he can't have the violent ones, he will put holes in his walls and throw any object he can get his hands on. We have the destructive behavior as well. That is why I posted the question. I have tried many things so you ask other moms because more than likely someone has a solution that would work.

busymommy98
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hi McCool, thank you for your reply and advice. I only took away the ones depicting violence and zombies. All he wanted to do was act out what he saw on those games. It even interfered with school. See why I took them away? Plus, his refusal to play any other safe games is his own choice. Now he has found music as a new outlet for his anxiety. He loves it! Thank God for small favors. Have a great day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)