Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Teaching to write

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 5 year old son doesn't have interest in coloring or writing. How do I teach him to hold a pencil the right way when he has no interest? Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

They make "easy grasp" triangular crayons. That is what my son's occupational therapist suggested to start out with. She also said standing at an easel is often easier for kids. I am not sure I would pressure him, just make the supplies available and he might try it. With my son if he saw me having fun with something then he would want to try. Maybe a coloring book with a favorite thing...just to get started...an super hero or vehicles...whatever he loves? His teacher also said chalk and a chalk board is easier for some kids because of the resistance...good luck!!  xo

MomtoLou
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a mommy coloring book. My kids watched me color all the time. I'm still a kid at heart. But my son wouldn't even grasp the pencil. His speech teacher gave him a special pencil, it was sparkly and fun she put a fun eraser on it. Then she put a special pencil grip on the pencil. He got to use that pencil whenever he was at speech. No one else used it. At home we did the same thing. We made pencils, chalk, color crayons fun. We would go outside and all sit on the ground and use chalk. I would tack up paper on the wall and we would color on that. I would pull out paints and we would us brushes as well. Al this got him excited to do the writing. Then once he was used to grasping and wanting to hold pencils. We got the super special sparkly pencil. He still doesn't like to grasp and write but he can do it. His hand writing is worse then most doctors. But he can write. And now he will even color with me in my special mommy color books. 

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Thanks for your input. Very helpful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Good post!

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Cut two holes in an old sock, one for the index finger and one for the thumb, the other fingers remain in the sock

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

amberd689
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM

That sock is awesome!!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Cut two holes in an old sock, one for the index finger and one for the thumb, the other fingers remain in the sock

Oh my God! That is adorable! Did you make that?

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I know its cute! I didn't make it, I did find it online though, they are $11 to order from (here) Or you could make one even cheaper probably.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Oh my God! That is adorable! Did you make that?

blessedhappymom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Our OT suggested we try Handwriting Without Tears. My son really enjoys it because they teach big/little line and big/little curve and make wood pieces to correlate and they make the letters. But the cool thing is that you can make 'Mat Man' with the wood pieces. They also do a chalkboard where you demonstrate how to write the letter and then the child writes the letter, then uses a little sponge to erase the letter and then dries it with a small napkin. If you buy direct its pricey so I got things off eBay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Thank you so much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)