Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

need advice, constant crying and apartment living

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

so as most of you know, jude crys all the time, and scream over everything

we can not find a house to live in around here,

we could probably find an apartment but im terrified of living in one, and having a son who screams constantly

im worried that it would cause alot of calls from neighbors to cps, or something like that because of him always screaming and crying over everything

so those of you with constant cryiers, do you live in apartments?

have you ever had problems?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yes we had problems in the apartment which is why we moved to a townhouse BUT

i wish we had stayed in the apt.

Ds' tantrums sub-sided at age 3 1/2. My hunch is that it will be the same for jude, if not sooner.

In either case, i would say that getting a downstairs apt will probably ease a lot of the issues.

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

We live in apartments. My 1year old crys when he don't get his way. And my oldest when he was a baby he always cryed. Even when he got older he only wanted mommy or he cryed and scream. That went away on own but because I could not be with him. He did not understand he going to be a big brother. We don't ever have any problems. We had problems with 2girls above us. Don't do laundry at midnight or vacuum all of the floors. We never heard her baby cry. We moved in another building because of them. And then a month later they moved. Also after we moved in I told the lady above us about our son having autism. So if she hears him laughing at midnight. She was nice but I kind of already knew her before I had kids. Sorry not much advice. 

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM

we are gunna try fora downstairsif we have to get one, which at this point is looking like our only option, we may even have to get rid of judes best friend (aka our kitty) if we cant find one that allows pets, which will really hurt bub, but at this point we have really exausted all options except apartments, and one 2 BR cottage (no pets) an hour away =(

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Yes we had problems in the apartment which is why we moved to a townhouse BUT

i wish we had stayed in the apt.

Ds' tantrums sub-sided at age 3 1/2. My hunch is that it will be the same for jude, if not sooner.

In either case, i would say that getting a downstairs apt will probably ease a lot of the issues.

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM

im just worried with how loud jude is that it will cause trouble with the neighbors, i know if we move we will have to keep a spotless place and keep really held together so incase he does get us in trouble they wont have any reason at all to stay, *sigh* i swear i wish i didnt have to worry bout such things

Quoting N.Carter2001:

We live in apartments. My 1year old crys when he don't get his way. And my oldest when he was a baby he always cryed. Even when he got older he only wanted mommy or he cryed and scream. That went away on own but because I could not be with him. He did not understand he going to be a big brother. We don't ever have any problems. We had problems with 2girls above us. Don't do laundry at midnight or vacuum all of the floors. We never heard her baby cry. We moved in another building because of them. And then a month later they moved. Also after we moved in I told the lady above us about our son having autism. So if she hears him laughing at midnight. She was nice but I kind of already knew her before I had kids. Sorry not much advice. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Quoting jb022210:

we are gunna try fora downstairsif we have to get one, which at this point is looking like our only option, we may even have to get rid of judes best friend (aka our kitty) if we cant find one that allows pets, which will really hurt bub, but at this point we have really exausted all options except apartments, and one 2 BR cottage (no pets) an hour away =(

yeah, these things are tough and sometimes there are not alot of great options but its doable. The most important thing jude needs he already has -- a loving home with you and amy :)

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

amber not amy lol, and yeah i know just sucks, things cant ever go as planned lol. 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting jb022210:

yeah, these things are tough and sometimes there are not alot of great options but its doable. The most important thing jude needs he already has -- a loving home with you and amy :)

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM
We live in an apartment. I guess in depends on your neighbors. You could explain to your neighbors ahead of time and they might be fine. If they have kids themselves then they might be more understanding.

I'm sure Jude will calm down more as he grows and his language improves. He is still young and even typical children his age are often like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jb022210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM

i really dont want to explain anything to anyone, we live in a very rural area, and most people round here dont even know about autism or believe problems like that happen with children especially not to a two year old, (they are still agianst blacks and gays round here*wonderful since we are also gay*) lol but its ambers hometown so she wont leave, 

so i just plan to pray alot if we must rent an apartment, and hope that whoever lives within hearing range works alot, lol.

Quoting newmommy430:

We live in an apartment. I guess in depends on your neighbors. You could explain to your neighbors ahead of time and they might be fine. If they have kids themselves then they might be more understanding.

I'm sure Jude will calm down more as he grows and his language improves. He is still young and even typical children his age are often like that.

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM
That sucks. I'm sorry. Those things aren't really an issue here.

Quoting jb022210:

i really dont want to explain anything to anyone, we live in a very rural area, and most people round here dont even know about autism or believe problems like that happen with children especially not to a two year old, (they are still agianst blacks and gays round here*wonderful since we are also gay*) lol but its ambers hometown so she wont leave, 

so i just plan to pray alot if we must rent an apartment, and hope that whoever lives within hearing range works alot, lol.

Quoting newmommy430:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM

My son did not outgrow his crying and screaming - in fact, in some ways it got worse as he got older simply BECAUSE people didn't understand WHY a kid his age would scream.

I was always worried about cps being calledo n his or the cops due to hlis screaming.

the only thing that eventually helped his screaming was starting him on the medication he needed for his mental health issues.

I would think that if you know oyur neighbors you could explain - but don't expect them to put up with it, not everyone will tolerate it and many will complain, even if you explain it to them.

I personally couldn't even live in a normal house in a normal neighborhood with out problems wiht my son. Living in the middle of no where helps, and our neighbors here know of some of his habits and have sene him scream/melt down in our yard when no one's doing anything to him, so they know he is who he is, and as long as we can keep him from harassing most people, most people ignore it.

I'm fairly certain it wouldn't go over so well with the sheer amount he screams.

Even on his medication that he started a few weeks ago - he's had a few hours of screaming over different things, but it's so greatly improved..... but the fact he'll STILL scream for hours... ^.^

I wouldn't risk living in an apt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)