Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question regarding ABA therapy..urgent!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hi everyone
So we have started with this company called sunnydays from Early Intervention for my 2 year olds (boy girl twins ...girl ASD ...boy seizures and speech delays)
They are giving us 4 Hrs of ABA based developmental intervention and 1 he OT(not happy with the how little hrs they giving but that's another topic)
My question is ABA is all new to us and we don't know what kind of therapies are done in ABA for 2 years old? The lady who is assigned I don't think is a BCBA and as per early intervention it's not a necessity?! (really?) Most of the moms here have provider ABA therapies for their toddlers , can anyone please tell me what kind of therapy is done for this age group coz we would never know if the lady is doing the right ones and what are needed. Let me know what else can I expect from ABA therapy from EI
other thing is since we getting very few hours what kind of therapy ideas u can give us which can help 2 years old. The therapist comes does match two items, reads a book, makes them do few imitations like where is ur nose etc.
My Daughter has very short attention span , she gets upset and tantrums and bangs head so it gets difficult to get something out of that 1 hr of therapy . Any suggestions ideas will help . Also abt potty training I haven't even started and dreading to! With twins 2 years I don't know where I would land :( does early intervention or preschool help with potty training too? Please advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kris0921
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I am an ABA IT and we have 4 2 year olds in my class. We mainly focus on NET and social skills along with them having to speak for EVERYTHING! My supervisor just took her test to become an BCBA, and she by far is much better than the other BCBAs where I work. We also potty train and even give them baths. We work with them 15 minutes at the table of 1:1 and no more than that at a time!

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

DS ASD 5yo did 1 yr w/ABA therapist,we were trained in it and did some every day and 7hrs/wk at therapist's.  He learned following simple directions,taking turns,social questions,body parts,imitation.  we used A good book"Behavioral Intervention for Young Children w/Autism"  You start basic and build on the skills .

by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM
We have a bcba supervisor that comes once a week for an hot and a half and a skills trainer that had her therapy program and does the daily therapy with her. So the skills trainer does the aba under the supervision of a bcba. We will be switching to having the bcba provide the services, but we will drop to 6 hours a well rather than the 10 we currently get with the skills trainer.
tictacmama
by Arlea on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM
3 moms liked this

My son has an ABA program at his school (he is 3 1/2) What they teach depends greatly on the child and his/her motivations. They mostly focus on reinforcing skills that help the child in their environment (communication, socialization, requesting things, etc.) and trying to eliminate or reduce the frequency of harmful or unwanted behaviors (Screaming, hitting, excessive stimming, etc.). A Lot of times you can request something to be worked on if you know it is a real issue for your family.

They look at when the child most frequently does the unwanted action and they try to modify the behavior by using reinforcers. For example, if a child screams when they see food they might begin to teach the child to say "food" and when he does it correctly they give him a small piece of their favorite treat. This motivates the child to do it again therefore getting another treat. Eventually the child learns that saying food is easier than screaming and the behavior is modified.

I know it sounds a alot like training a pet, but because our children read our body language less than nuerotypical kids and use less imitatinon to learn socialization it really is a useful tool for learning.

Also getting your child in ABA at two is awesome because they are still learning about their environment and will have less "major" unwanted behaviors then a child who was diagnosed older.

hope this helps :)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM

We have ABA 5 days a week 2 hours a day. Pretty much what tictacmomma said runs the same for us. I absolutely love this. She has been working with our son for 5 months now and he has improved so much. The eye contact alone is incredible. He went from no words to repeating everything. She started with very easy tasks in the beginning and a lot of free time for him til he became comfortable with her. After about 2 weeks it was down to the nitty gritty. He knows what is expected now and his meltdowns have dropped immensely. Give ABA a chance. It might not look like she is doing much in the beginning but its still new for your twins. 

shugerbit
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

my son gets 15 hours of Aba a week' 2 of those hours they go to ei playgroup with him to help him socialize.  don't worry about the hours right now, he started at 6 hours and his neurologist didn't think he was making enough progress so she requested the increase in hours.  he still isn't talking despite Aba and st for the past 9 months, but he does now bring me things and uses a handful of signs.  they basically demand things while playing.  for example, landon loves puzzles, so every time he wants a piece he must point to himself to ask for it, we are now working on him saying the word "me"',so any sound will give him the puzzle piece, but the e or m sound gets lots of praise. Aba has really changed our lives, just 9 months ago there was No eye contact and full hour meltdowns until we figured out what it is that landon wanted.  he now stims less, and at times gives good eye contact, will bring you things he wants, and uses some signs. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:42 AM

My son is going to be 12...and back then, I was VERY unhappy with any therapy he got. I know they've gotten better but I still think the best therapy they get sometimes is from their parents. It amazes me that these people dont need to have more training than they do!

Shardep
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Aba is wonderful, we do 7 1/2 hours a week, and it's been the best thing for us! They just released a study were they proved with early intervention and behavioral therapy, children can lose their diagnosis. Your on the right path momma! Stick with it and I'm sure you'll love it too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)