Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
Do you support Autism Speaks?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Replies (21-26):
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I thought that I was alone too, but apparently there are other people who feel this way too.  If you haven't already, read up about neurodiversity. 

Quoting Basherte:

I thought I was the only one. Seriously.

My son is on disability, but I feel bad when I tell people that there really isn't anything wrong with him. He's wired differently and has issues with social situations, and doesn't speak yet, but he isn't ill. He is different.

I get really upset with people that tell me that they are sorry about my son's diagnosis and hope that they will find a cure for him soon.

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me (or my child), and it doesn't reflect our opinion of my son's Asperger's.

However, I believe that there may be several conditions that exhibit autistic like behaviors.  Some of those conditions could be cureable.  I have no problem with them looking for a cure for people who feel like something else is going on and desire a cure.

As far my Aspie....He's not ill.  His brain wired is a little different than other people.  That's ok.  He has a right to be the person he is.  I would personally find any discussion of a 'cure' for him offensive. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I will, thank you.

Quoting Bluerose1482:

I thought that I was alone too, but apparently there are other people who feel this way too.  If you haven't already, read up about neurodiversity. 

Quoting Basherte:

I thought I was the only one. Seriously.

My son is on disability, but I feel bad when I tell people that there really isn't anything wrong with him. He's wired differently and has issues with social situations, and doesn't speak yet, but he isn't ill. He is different.

I get really upset with people that tell me that they are sorry about my son's diagnosis and hope that they will find a cure for him soon.

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me (or my child), and it doesn't reflect our opinion of my son's Asperger's.

However, I believe that there may be several conditions that exhibit autistic like behaviors.  Some of those conditions could be cureable.  I have no problem with them looking for a cure for people who feel like something else is going on and desire a cure.

As far my Aspie....He's not ill.  His brain wired is a little different than other people.  That's ok.  He has a right to be the person he is.  I would personally find any discussion of a 'cure' for him offensive. 

CheriJ13
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I actually did the survey afterwards and wrote to somehow get with the planning board to volunteer to help make the next walk happy for all the kids. Written twice, and no response back except friendly e-mail reminders to start fundraising again for the next walk. Ya, I'll get right on that ;)

Mrs.Burrow
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a volunteer with Autism Speaks. I know a lot of my information because of them. The woman over the Tennessee chapter is absolutely wonderfully and helpful!!!! I'm actually working trying to get Autism Insurance Reform in Tennessee and Autism Speaks is the ONLY organization who will help back this no other organization will. We have a team and Walk every year. Are they perfect? No, but they have been the most helpful for me.

Autism is what he has NOT who he is!!!jigsaw ribbon

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I think they are a great group trying to do great things. I will support any group raising money to help my child and no group out there does as much as them. I also am one of those moms that prays every day for new treatments or a cure to help my son as he is severe and needs whatever help we can get him to give him a better future. I know thats not always a popular belief around here but oh well.
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Wow that so amazing that they helped after the hurricane! I am definitely donating to them after hearing tgat.

Quoting NJMommaK:

we also support Autism Speaks. We have walked in our local Walk now for the past 6 years. We dont raise much moneym as a team, but the experience of it all is amazing for my son. YAY GO  Matty's Marchers!! We have an amazing time, its nice to fit in with a crowd that totally understands a meltdown.

During Hurricane Sandy our local Walk Now  for Autism Speaks  reached out to us, as we are on the jersey shore, They offered us with resources and information on the help we as an autistic family can get Including medical help or shelter if needed. They were VERY helpful, more than our own town was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)