Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Opinions on ABA?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm just reading this blog about RDI therapy (link), reading the comments got me thinking, my daughter hasn't started ABA yet, we do Floortime, Speech Therapy and I have a sensory room at home, I pretty much do it all myself with very little services offered around here. We have been on a waiting list for ABA and IBI. The ABA should start in June, the IBI not for another 3-4 years!

Anyways, my question is, does anyone think that ABA was not good for their child? That perhaps it is too rigid, or robotic? I like to let Violet go at her own pace, and she doesn't like to be pressured to perform on cue. What if it's setting her up to lose confidence, or to stop thinking for herself? I just want her to feel happy, confident and open to learn. Has anyone else had similar concerns about ABA?

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We did private since my son did not qualify for it to be paid it was tailored to him. In schools and such I think it makes them into robots

Cooperfamily
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
My son had aba and I recommend it to every child with specail needs...my son was not verbal and had very lil motor skills and after aba he's a happy kid who talks a lot and asks lots of questions although its still a work in progress he is doing much better each month with being independent :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM

We've done very well with ABA for my son - he was a kid that understood NO language and with ABA and biomedical interventions he's really understanding and speaking more, but he's also very young, only 2.5 so I'd say if your child is very low functioning, low on language comprehension AND expression, and can't follow simple directions etc. then ABA can be a great start point.  If your child is verbal, interacting well, and comprehending well and just needs to work on social skills and expressive language, then ABA may not be for you. It woudl depend if there are negative behaviors that you need help in curbing and redirecting, which ABA is great at.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I'm starting to think about ABA for my son. He's getting a floor time type of therapy with early intervention right now. I'm not seeing much progress, to be honest. He's playing with toys a *little* bit more functionally, but I'm not sure that he's learned much of anything. I would bet that it has to do with the individual child though. I'm sure that the county wouldn't focus so intensely on a therapy that wasn't effective in general. 

I'm already getting the sense that my son needs there to be a "point" to an activity, and I think that a reinforcement might be right up his alley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)