Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

asd and everything inbetween..... when did you realize something wasnt right?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 76 Replies

i realized it shortly after ds was born while he was still in the hospital. when he was born, i had a special blankey for him. from day one he was wrapped in it. i knew something wasnt right with him when everytime the nurses took it away from him, he was completely inconsolable. when he was transfered to nicu (body temp regulation issues and respitory infection from csection) i would get phone calls from the nurses because they couldnt calm him down. same thing happened before nicu too. id go in there and he didnt have his blanket. the sec i gave it back he instantly calmed down. its been that way ever since. i now own close to 10 of those blankets lol (not color or pattern, just the material... microfiber fleece)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

BUMP!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

My ds cried all the time as a baby. He could only be consoled if he were tightly wrapped, in a swing or if I were holding him and moving around. He has sensory issues. No one could get him calm but me.  Still pretty much the same today although he will let his dad hold him more often now for consoling. Plus I remember only a few times he would look me in the eyes even when he was that young. 

weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

i mean the sensory problems became more apparent as he became mobile and slammed into everything on purpose. it was then we realized he doesnt process pain either. as a baby baby though, he was pretty good. only thing was the blanket and you had to be squishing him during his feedings or cuddle time or he would get mad.

Quoting JTMOM422:

My ds cried all the time as a baby. He could only be consoled if he were gightly wrapped, in a swing or if I were holding him and moving around. He has sensory issues. No one could get him calm but me.  Still pretty much the same today although he will let his dad hold him more often now for consoling. Plus I remember only a few times he would look me in the eyes even when he was that young. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ds constantly fell down. He was walking at 9 months. I remember at his 18 month checkup the doc wasn't concerned about it. She said he was just learning to walk so he was expected to fall. I explained he had been walking for 9 months but she said he was fine. 

carterjacksmom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I knew very early on that something was off--maybe around 3 months.  He too loves his fleece blanket!  I had him in early intervention at 16 months.

weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM

that was about when he started ei too. i mean its done wonders for him and he loves his therapists but one of them just comes off as really snide sometimes.

Quoting carterjacksmom:

I knew very early on that something was off--maybe around 3 months.  He too loves his fleece blanket!  I had him in early intervention at 16 months.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

My son was really fussy as a baby and suffered from severe eczema on his face. He also wouldn't tolerate textures when he started eating baby foods. He couldn't do chunks. Around 12 months old, I knew something was up. He had to have a swallow study to see why he couldn't eat. There was no physical reason why he couldn't eat. He had to be tested for allergies. He is allergic to dairy, wheat, eggs, and peanuts. He also never started talking and began speech therapy at 15 months old. He had his tongue clipped before his second birthday because his frenulum was too tight. It just seemed to be one thing after another. He was diagnosed at 2.5 years old.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

When he spoke at 10 months, lined up his toy cars, and would not point when mommy read to him.

unusualmom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM
6 months old for my second son. 9 months old for my oldest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I didn't. I only got him into early intervention because his daycare recommended it before they gave him the boot. I was SO so SO offended when they told me I should get him screened, so I went to my doctor and asked what he thought. He told me to do it because it was free to get the screening and whatnot done before kindergarten. And I did. Now here we are..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)