Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you ever identify with NT parents?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 24 Replies

I just can't.

I always think, if I had your kid, there would be no problems.

I love my kid just the way he is, but he is a little more challenge than most. well, sometimes, a lot more.

i deal with NT kids all the time -- and there has never been a NT kid that wasn't putty in my hands in half an hour.

Just venting. Commiserating welcomed :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedhappymom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Totally hear you on this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have both NT kids and a son on the spectrum but I get what you're saying. I have 2 good friends that have kids with ASD and they are my only friends I can really talk about my son with and have tem understand.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have one ASD and one NT. I do feel it though. Sometimes I think how much easier it would be to not have one on the spectrum. I wonder what they are thinking when they see my ds having a meltdown. At times they just look at him like he is a rotten 2 year old. I only have 1 friend ( I suffer social anxiety). She is the only person I talk to about my son other than family. I love my ds so much and he is happy and healthy and very loving just the way he is 

KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I think this all the time.  I look at moms in the park with their hair done, nails done, and lovely kids who are doing what kids do, screaming talking having fun etc. and I hear them talking to their adult friends about this school project mishap or that teacher who doesn't see how gifted their child is and really it can be hard to hear.  Mostly b/c it's hard for me to supress the urge to walk over and explain to them just how many f*cks are given about their "first world kid" problems... but then I realize that kids are just HARD and while mine add onto the regular challenges with ASD issues, it's not like they'd be a cakewalk without ASD and if I had two normal kids I'd be talking about the same stuff at the park with my own friends. 

But it makes me either not listen, go elsewhere, or just feel a little sad inside to hear it.  I love my kids, they are fantastic in ways I never expected particularly in how sweet they are with each other.  But srsly those moms with no ASD experience have NO CLUE how good they have it :P

KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh and I totally feel you on the "other kids love us b/c we are ASD parents" - at gymboree we are SO over the top to get our kids involved the other kids think we're just the best.  The normal kids' parents are all talking to each other or interacting somewhat but not like INTO the activities whereas my husband and I are all hands on deck to get one or both kids to do the activities even for a little bit.  We get the "you're so animated!" a lot.  Yup!  B/c if we're not the kids could CARE LESS about your structured activity with peer interactions:)

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Oh and I totally feel you on the "other kids love us b/c we are ASD parents" - at gymboree we are SO over the top to get our kids involved the other kids think we're just the best.  The normal kids' parents are all talking to each other or interacting somewhat but not like INTO the activities whereas my husband and I are all hands on deck to get one or both kids to do the activities even for a little bit.  We get the "you're so animated!" a lot.  Yup!  B/c if we're not the kids could CARE LESS about your structured activity with peer interactions:)

yeah. i mean, i was a nanny before i had kids and i thought i was kinda good with kids -- until i had mine! lol

Lilbit0700
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I do relate to them most of them are big help like is this aboy thing a age for  or ASD problem we help each other ou. Not some I don't like at all.

kinshipcaremama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
After raising my son with Autism for 20 years I "inherited" my young great niece and nephew. I AM a parent of typical developing children now. (Typical but traumatized). Parenting "normal" kids is hard, too! Different, but no less difficult. I'm loving everything above raising my kids....all three of them.
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

NT parents are often amazed at my "conflict resolution" or distraction skills (I work with kids some are NT, some are not). But I picked up these skills because of my son, if he was an easier child I would not have learned these things.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes I wish things were different. But I wouldn't have the same boy if they were.

Unicorn1110
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I am both. Oldest is not youngest is. Still waiting on grandson.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN