Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I just can't.

I always think, if I had your kid, there would be no problems.

I love my kid just the way he is, but he is a little more challenge than most. well, sometimes, a lot more.

i deal with NT kids all the time -- and there has never been a NT kid that wasn't putty in my hands in half an hour.

Just venting. Commiserating welcomed :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you on how much NT love ASD moms.

It is such an uphill battle for the smallest accomplishments. Self-care, eating, small talk, socializing, that every little thing kids do is a huge celebration.

I have one ASD and one NT, but what annoys me about NT only parents is how they take their kid's development for granted.  A child who expresses his or herself is scolded for talking too much. The criticizing is what really upsets me.

Marcy_182
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a NT daughter and a ASD son, so i identified with both sides, and have no complaints, i know my friends that have NT children will never understand and i dont expect them too as long as they always ask how things are going and how am i doing with all of this, like good friends should...

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

No way...lol. Whenever they get all upset about a problem they're having with their child, I put on an empathetic face, but inside I'm wishing that my life were that simple! 

Things become especially difficult to handle when they start trying to identify with me though. They say "I don't mean to pry..." (which always translates to: "I'm about to give you my opinion in the form of a question") "have you tried disciplining him?" "have you tried NOT childproofing your house so much?" "have you tried giving him MORE exposure to this that or the other thing that is causing him to flip out?" "have you tried witholding what he wants until he asks for it verbally?" "you do talk to him throughout the day, right?" "have you ever considered that maybe he's just not ready for blah blah blah?" etc. etc. etc. 

UUUGGHH! 

Sorry, I thought I'd vent in response to your vent :) 

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

The title question made me laugh because it means something different to me than what the question is asking.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Yeah, don't get me wrong. If my kid were NT, I would be in their shoes, talking the same way as they do. It was just life that gave me my ASD son. And I'm grateful for him 100%.

Its just a different life experience. I don't begrudge them, i just happen to have the experiences that i do that they don't... i just have different lenses, you know?

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but that last question is exactly the point I was trying to make with my comment.  To me most of the women here are "NT parents" (I know there are a few other ladies on the spectrum hanging around).  Therefore, the title conjured up an entirely different question in my mind.  

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Yeah, don't get me wrong. If my kid were NT, I would be in their shoes, talking the same way as they do. It was just life that gave me my ASD son. And I'm grateful for him 100%.

Its just a different life experience. I don't begrudge them, i just happen to have the experiences that i do that they don't... i just have different lenses, you know?

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting A_McCool:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but that last question is exactly the point I was trying to make with my comment.  To me most of the women here are "NT parents" (I know there are a few other ladies on the spectrum hanging around).  Therefore, the title conjured up an entirely different question in my mind.  

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

hahaha no not at all.

different lenses from parents who only have NT children lol

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Quoting A_McCool:

The title question made me laugh because it means something different to me than what the question is asking.

I see what you are saying now. I admit, at first I was like "huh?"

But you are right, the actual title is misleading... parents of only NT kids is what I should have titled it ...

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

*hugs Momma*

I can't identify with NT parents either at all. They complain about the smallest stuff. Small to me anyway.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I'm both. My son has autism, my daughter doesn't. I see both sides. There are moms, however, that bother me with how they complain about their children. Their child never shuts up, always asking questions... My son didn't say a word until he turned 5! Their kid never eats veggies... my kid didn't eat solid food until last summer! I think it just puts life in perspective. Don't sweat the little things. I don't freak out when my daughter asks me a billion questions, I don't freak out when she doesn't want to eat broccoli. It also puts life in perspective for those moms of all NT kids around me. It could be worse, and count your blessings. Answering the question WHY for the 50th time in the last hour is a blessing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN