Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Child on Autism Spectrum, but No Official Diagnosis

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 3-year-old son has had developmental issues since he was born. I brought to his pedi's attention at 15-months old, but they wouldn't do anything till he was at least 18-months-old. Pedi put him in Speech Therapy and that was it. He ended up in Speech Therapy, Developmental Therapy, and Physical Therapy. As the parent, I did the Autism CheckList at my son's 18-month and 2-year appts. The pedi didn't seem concerned with my answers at that time. In September 2012, we finally got into the Development Center at our local Children's Hospital. They diagnosed my son with Apraxia of Speech, but also said he's on the Autism Spectrum but not "high enough to diagnose". We are now in January and I'm fighting for a full diagnosis. We go to a PhD tomorrow morning for the "Parent Appt" before the testing begins. I've been at my wits end for years now and just want more answers. Hopefully we'll have a diagnosis this go-round.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Keep fighting momma. We know our children. No one can be a better judge of them than us. Have you tried contacting your local school system to see if they can do anything. I know he is too old for Early Intervention services at 3. Whatever they say don't let them say he is too young for a dx. He's not. I have read a lot of moms on here say they were dx around 18 months. I would find another pedi if yours keeps putting it off. I don't think normal pedi are really trained to dx ASD appropriately. The earlier your child can get services the better.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I hope things went well at your appointment today and that you feel like the new doctor listened to your concerns, etc. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Keep up with the fight! Good luck!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

It isn't always clear cut with some kids, that is a good sign. Maybe it means his impairment is mild. At any rate it sounds like you might be ready for a new doctor with a little more trust in your concern. A doctor should consider you the expert when it comes to your children because you are.  Welcome to the group and good luck finding what you need for your son, there are lots of great people here with answers and support.  XO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN