Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He said, "It's just so nice to talk to normal people like me."

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 5 yr old son just started an ABA therapy after-school program yesterday and his father and I are seriously considering taking him out of public school for the time being and sending him to therapy all day (we can put my ds in a home-school program to work at at the ABA Therapy Center for Autism) so that he can get more help now with the hope he will need less help later. Eventually we hope that he can learn some coping/social skills to potentially come off all these medications some day (which have helped immensely but he still has some things to work on).

So, today, I asked him what he thought of Giggles (the name of the center). He said, "It was great-wait awesome-but fantastic is better than awesome so, it is fantatsic!" Then I asked him what was so great about Giggles. He said, "It's just so nice to talk to normal people like me."

So, this statement that he made makes me nervous about taking him out of public school until next year. There are 3 NT kids in his class at the ABA Center (Giggles) though. And, I know the point of these programs is to help the kids with some of their sensory and social issues that cause his meltdowns and in-turn, this will help him make friends easier and enjoy the school-day without behavioral problems. However, what he said also made me realize how alone he must have been feeling all this time since starting kindergarten this year. It's hard to imagine that at 5 yrs old HE can sense that he's a little different. I never thought that anything was really wrong. I just thought he was just so smart and that's why he was a little different. I said and did many of the very same things he does. I wish I would've recognized there was something different before, so that kindergarten wouldn't have been so hard for him. It's all just so frustrating-it's not like "normal" is so good! I LOVE the way he thinks!

Have any of you sent your kids to a treatment center like this where they can get everything there at one place (speech, occupational therapy, ABA)? Were you happy with the results-did it help your ds/dd? Did it cause them to be even less able to socialize with NT kids?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MommaHubbard
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

*Bump*

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

What a smart, articulate boy!  I'm glad he enjoyed Giggles and I think I'd keep him there because it's probably going to help him a lot socially.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Right now I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my son.

Right now my son is in a SN preschool, he just turned 4 yrs old, and cognitively and language wise, he has accerlerated a lot ONLY b/c of the mere 2 hrs of aba he gets that i have to pay out of pocket...

at school he is not doing so well, behavior wise...

but hopefully they'll move him to an aba-based preschool program soon... its so hard to wait. so hard to see him suffer like that :(

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Don't know a thing about the kind of schooling you are talking about as we don't have anything like that near us but it sure sounds like it is a great fit for your son. How nice that he can feel like one of the guys. What better socialization is there than that?  xo

Sharbear42371
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Your kid sounds so smart and funny.  My little guy is like that too.  My son is 10 and in a public school. This is the 1st yr he has said he hates school.  I see his grades slipping and we are looking into a private school with more diversity and with a much smaller class size.  All children are different and will need different things.

Good luck momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)