Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Screaming. Augh!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello ladies,

I am literally fantasizing about using a cheese grater on my brain and ear drums. My 6 year old ASD son is doing so well, but the screaming is getting to me. He was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.

I thought today was going to be great. He went to bed at 8 (usually its at 1030), minimal fussing. But he woke up at 4 a.m. today, turned on all the lights. The screaming began when it was time to get out of his favorite ninja turtle pyjamas AGAIN. Daily occurrence now.

Putting on pants and shirts, socks and shoes, and OMG he hates jackets. I know that he has sensory issues, and I think this is why I partially despise cold weather. He just can not stand clothes on his body. H hates wearing underwear, he loves sandals or going barefoot. He loves t-shirts and shorts. Anything past his elbows and his knees just release bloodcurdling screams. This is at 6 a.m. at this point mind you. With our neighbors still asleep. Then I try to get him and his younger NT brother to the car at 630 a.m. to go to the bus stop. He refuses to drink his milk in the morning, he knows we put his st.john's wort (herbal version of anti-anxiety) in it. Literally nonstop screaming!

His small talk has improved. He is so happy and singing all the time. But winter clothes are the bane of his existence. And unfortunately, not much I can do about it in 40 degree weather.

I buy all his clothes in 100% cotton as much as I can. I am just losing my mind. I never considered medication for him, but I think I am nearing that point every morning during winter.

Any advice?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NJMommaK
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

my son doesnt like clothing either. No jeans, he wears sweats or elastic exersize pants. and absolutly no long sleeve shirts.    Wheat i can suggest, in order to get a coat on him.. everyday for a few minutes periodically throughout the day, put the coat on him, and make him wear it for maybe 2 to 3 minutes at a time. let him watch a clock or give him a stop watch. after the 3 minutes are up take the coat off and offer him a "token"   this comes along with a token board, if you dont already use one....   aet up a white board or even paper, and make it 1 to 5.  after each sucessful coat try on, let him put a checkmark or a small sticker on the curent number. when he reaches 5, he will have earned some kind of prize.

the screaming however medication will not stop that. He needs to "learn how to use his words"  and thats gonna take some time, We still go through that and my boy is 12.

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I would offer a reward for putting his clothes on - something he'd want and would only get AFTER he cooperates..

for example if he likes an ipad, or DS or nintendo - let him have it to play with only ONCE his clothes are on... over enough time, he'll stop the fussing to get the reward alot sooner... but whatever reward it is, it has to be something he wants more than he cares about the clothes.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

What if you make a chart to explain to him that once it reaches this temperature, then you must wear a coat. Let him look at the thermometer or weather channel to check. If its under a certain number, he must wear the coat, but once it goes above it, he can wear a sweater, once its even warmer, he can wear a t-shirt. Maybe make it into a wheel that he turns to see what he has to wear at each temperature. I would also buy him 7 pairs of ninja turtle pajamas, one for every day of the week, and let him wear them as soon as he walks in the house. Perhaps with the coat, go to the store and pick out one together, maybe buy it a couple of sizes bigger so it doesn't seem so tight and restrictive, maybe a softer material. I have a down coat for winter and its so warm but so light that I hardly feel like I have anything on, and I can wear a t-shirt under it and its still warm enough, and it gets frigidly cold here.

ThreeSweetPs
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I am going through the exact same thing in the mornings with my 6 year old. If nothing else, it is comforting to know I am not the only one with these challenges.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My 5yo ASD Ds just likes to be naked at home sometimes.  He will only wear striped short sleeve shirts.  He will not wear his new shoes.  Most of the time he sleeps in play clothes AND shoes.  I pick my battles,and try to give him choices whenver possible.  Our temp is like 0 right now,TG,don't know why,but he LIKES wearing coat w/hood,hat gloves scarves and boots.  I never know w/my sweetie:)

amberd689
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:17 AM

My 7 year old boy will only wear Skeechers shoes because they come in wides. I bought him a pair of Nikes he refused to wear them said they hurt his feet. He has SPD so he is very particular about certain things. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting amberd689:

My 7 year old boy will only wear Skeechers shoes because they come in wides. I bought him a pair of Nikes he refused to wear them said they hurt his feet. He has SPD so he is very particular about certain things. 

a little off topic, i didn't know skeechers came in wides. i love skeechers but they were too narrow for me. cool.

my son also needs wide shoes. i have to buy the expensive kind at stride-rite or else he trips and falls all the time. and they can't be too big, you know, to let his feet grow in them and stretch the budget. i have to buy shoes every 6 months.

oh well. i guess its a small price to pay instead of him falling all the time. poor thing.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Is there are reason that he can't wear the PJs under his clothes kind of like thermal underwear?  I'd buy 6 more pairs and let him wear them under his clothes everyday if it made getting dressed easier. 

I'd also make a chart that says, if the temp is ____ you must wear a boats, long pants, long sleeves, a coat etc.  If the temp is above ____ but below _____ you must wear closed shoes, long pants, long sleeve shirt, a jacket, etc.  If the temp is above ____ you may wear shorts and sandles.  Each night I would help him check the weather online and refer to the chart.  Maybe even have something like a paper doll that he can put the correct clothes on.  Then, set out his clothes for the next day. 

My son does great with charts and much better if we have a specific policy to cover something.  Then, he knows ahead of time and doesn't feel that I am being arbitrary.  

Quoting Macphee:

Hello ladies,

I am literally fantasizing about using a cheese grater on my brain and ear drums. My 6 year old ASD son is doing so well, but the screaming is getting to me. He was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.

I thought today was going to be great. He went to bed at 8 (usually its at 1030), minimal fussing. But he woke up at 4 a.m. today, turned on all the lights. The screaming began when it was time to get out of his favorite ninja turtle pyjamas AGAIN. Daily occurrence now.

Putting on pants and shirts, socks and shoes, and OMG he hates jackets. I know that he has sensory issues, and I think this is why I partially despise cold weather. He just can not stand clothes on his body. H hates wearing underwear, he loves sandals or going barefoot. He loves t-shirts and shorts. Anything past his elbows and his knees just release bloodcurdling screams. This is at 6 a.m. at this point mind you. With our neighbors still asleep. Then I try to get him and his younger NT brother to the car at 630 a.m. to go to the bus stop. He refuses to drink his milk in the morning, he knows we put his st.john's wort (herbal version of anti-anxiety) in it. Literally nonstop screaming!

His small talk has improved. He is so happy and singing all the time. But winter clothes are the bane of his existence. And unfortunately, not much I can do about it in 40 degree weather.

I buy all his clothes in 100% cotton as much as I can. I am just losing my mind. I never considered medication for him, but I think I am nearing that point every morning during winter.

Any advice?

busymommy98
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Oh girl, went through that before. Still do sometimes. My boy is 10. Have you used visual reward boards? We do that with Nate and it works ok. It really depends on their frame of mind at the time. He is getting used to earning what he wants so every day gets a tiny bit easier. By the way, what does NT mean? As for the bus stop issue, is your son in a public school or does he go to a special school? If he is in special classes, your school district should provide transportation that comes to your home. My son's IEP requires the school district to provide this. It is easier. I would ask. Try putting his St. John's Wort in pudding or apple sauce. We do that with one of our son's pills because that thing is huge. I wouldn't ask him to try to swallow it. It is Inositol and it is vitamin-based. We also have him on Seraquel which has worked very good. It has very little side effects and really helps with obsessive fixation and most of his sensory issues such as putting on clothing he would normally fight about. It also helps with the irritability. I would ask your doc. It is worth a shot. Good luck to you and you hang in there. I will pray for you and your precious ASD. wink mini

amberd689
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Oh yes wide sizes and some light up so of course my little guy loves that lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)