Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello ladies,

I am literally fantasizing about using a cheese grater on my brain and ear drums. My 6 year old ASD son is doing so well, but the screaming is getting to me. He was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.

I thought today was going to be great. He went to bed at 8 (usually its at 1030), minimal fussing. But he woke up at 4 a.m. today, turned on all the lights. The screaming began when it was time to get out of his favorite ninja turtle pyjamas AGAIN. Daily occurrence now.

Putting on pants and shirts, socks and shoes, and OMG he hates jackets. I know that he has sensory issues, and I think this is why I partially despise cold weather. He just can not stand clothes on his body. H hates wearing underwear, he loves sandals or going barefoot. He loves t-shirts and shorts. Anything past his elbows and his knees just release bloodcurdling screams. This is at 6 a.m. at this point mind you. With our neighbors still asleep. Then I try to get him and his younger NT brother to the car at 630 a.m. to go to the bus stop. He refuses to drink his milk in the morning, he knows we put his st.john's wort (herbal version of anti-anxiety) in it. Literally nonstop screaming!

His small talk has improved. He is so happy and singing all the time. But winter clothes are the bane of his existence. And unfortunately, not much I can do about it in 40 degree weather.

I buy all his clothes in 100% cotton as much as I can. I am just losing my mind. I never considered medication for him, but I think I am nearing that point every morning during winter.

Any advice?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Replies (11-12):
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

NT= neurotypical (used to describe kids developed on time)

He does have the ESE bus come right at the end of our driveway.

I ended up having to find a school that was closer to drive to for my NT son. We get to sleep an hour extra, and we're not rushing as much. When it comes to transitions, ASD son has to have his 5-10 mns of breakfast, 5-10 mns of quiet time toys or books. When we were trying to get everything done in 30 mns to make it to his younger brother's bus stop, there simply was not transition times.

Thanks for the feedback.

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Awww that must be very hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)