Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Son newly diagnosed with PDD-NOS

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son, who is 2 1/2, has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and ADHD. This still feels very 'new' as this happened in Dec.  We live in Carmel and I was wondering are there groups out there where we can meet other families? He was going to a day-care centre, but his behaviours were to extremefor them to manage, he has some sensory issues too.  Guess I am just reaching out as in a day I can feel a variety of emotions.

Thanks

SRA000

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't live near you but I know how you feel. The diagnosis period is filled with feelings, grief, worry, sadness but there is also hope and encouragement because diagnosis is just a tool to help get your boy what he needs. Let the feelings come, if you don't get them out they will get in the way of you being the kind of mom your boy will need. We are a community of moms that know exactly how you are feeling. Hang in there, it is a long journey with it's good and bad but in the end that is true of all parenting. Good luck sweetie and welcome!  xo

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I know this is a difficult time to process everything that just happened with his diagnosis. I recommend contacting your school district for an evaluation for Special Education services(http://www.wrightslaw.com/) which is free. I recommend joining a local support group through your local Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/), Autism Speaks (http://www.autismspeaks.org/), and Easter Seals (http://www.easterseals.org/). TheARC (http://www.thearc.org/) and Special Olympics (http://www.specialolympics.org/) provides a lot of activities and services depending on your area.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Contact your state Early Intervention. They can help you get started with therapies. Also check out the site Autism Speaks. They have a download for the first 100 days after dx. There are more than likely support groups in your area you can probably look online for that.

I know how you feel about the emotions. I didn't think it was possible to go through so many as I did when ds was dx. It's hard. Just remember your son is still the same loving little boy. He does things a little different and that's ok.

Welcome to the group. The ladies here are full of wonderful information that you won't find in any textbook.

Kittycatdiva
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Hello - we live in the Central Valley Modesto, Ca area. I'm sure you can find groups in Monterey or San Jose area . We have a PDD nos +ADD. Diagnosis too. It's been a battle for us because its not visible to the eye of many then the different behaviors appear and people ask why is your son rocking or hAving crazy melt downs or can't look at me in the eye .. I watched the "temple Grandin " movie and found so much comfort in how her mother managed her ASD. Keep seeking a group or start one yourself . Their are so many parents who will find comfort in the fact they are not alone.. We visit Mobterey often if you would ever want to connect or you can email me: Lynnaeb@att.net
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kittycatdiva
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Hello - we live in the Central Valley Modesto, Ca area. I'm sure you can find groups in Monterey or San Jose area . We have a PDD nos +ADD. Diagnosis too. It's been a battle for us because its not visible to the eye of many then the different behaviors appear and people ask why is your son rocking or hAving crazy melt downs or can't look at me in the eye .. I watched the "temple Grandin " movie and found so much comfort in how her mother managed her ASD. Keep seeking a group or start one yourself . Their are so many parents who will find comfort in the fact they are not alone.. We visit Mobterey often if you would ever want to connect or you can email me: Lynnaeb@att.net
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sharbear42371
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

This..  xoxox

Quoting lucasmadre:

Don't live near you but I know how you feel. The diagnosis period is filled with feelings, grief, worry, sadness but there is also hope and encouragement because diagnosis is just a tool to help get your boy what he needs. Let the feelings come, if you don't get them out they will get in the way of you being the kind of mom your boy will need. We are a community of moms that know exactly how you are feeling. Hang in there, it is a long journey with it's good and bad but in the end that is true of all parenting. Good luck sweetie and welcome!  xo

sra000
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thank you all so much for your kind words and information. Mr A has started ABA therapy, and we can already see some improvement with his speech (he can now say his name and age). Only problem, he is a little angel when he is with them, and so far has not shown his 'true' colours - hitting, kicking, and pushing. He dave all that good stuff for me. This is a tad frustrating as I feel they might think I am making it up. Also know this is part of the toddler phase too.

Hope all is well with you.

sra000

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Welcome to the group. My son was dx Pdd.nos 5 years ago. It is very overwhelming at first. I found a local support group in town and that did help. I don't live near you but feel free to ask me any questions.

multi90
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

My 3yo son was diagnosed with PDD NOS last month and I still have a variety of emotions every day.  The toughest for me is seeing other kids his age and watching how they have conversations, sit down and pay attention, and share thoughts and ideas, which my son does not do.  So far, he is at a new daycare that has not had major behavior issues with him, but I am concerned about his academic development because he is not on the same level developmentally and unable to do certain things.  My husband doesn't understand why I feel so emotional - he figures we have a dignosis and that's great because we know what is causing his delays.  But all I do is wonder about what limitations he may have on his future.   I have not yet found a support group in the Kennesaw, GA area, and I can feel myself kind of retreating from other parents to avoid the pain of continually seeing how their children are progressing and my child is not.  I know you are not supposed to compare, but that is waay easier said than done.  I just really am looking for a way to not feel so alone in this journey.  If anyone knows of a support group in my area, please let me know.  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)