Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I think you underestimate the sneakiness...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this

So my son has many food sensitivities which limit his diet, but in addition he has a lot of texture aversions and has a hard time chewing foods that don't mush or break up pretty much instantly in his mouth.  So his diet is pretty much the same most days with various fruits rotated in and out for variety.  Well.  As of 3 weeks ago suddenly the kid HATES hotdogs, a staple for dinners.  Doesn't matter what flavor or brand, he's done eating them.  So after trying to wait him out, trying various brands, cooking them differently, nothing worked. 

And as I'm watching him refuse, I'm realizing it's a texture thing, for some reason he suddenly can't stand the mushy meat texture in his mouth.  BUT chicken nuggets with their crispy corn coating are A-OK at lunch... an evil and mildly desperate plan is hatched in my devious little mind.  I take his corn chex, a definite favorite, and make a hotdog sandwhich with corn chex cereal all around the hotdog.  I show him the cereal, say "hey bubs look! Cereal!" his little mouth opens obediently, and BAM hotdog sandwhich is stuffed in his mouth.  He chews, stops, considers spitting it out, and then apparently decides the crunch of corn chex cancels out the horror of the mushy hotdog, and eats ALL his dinner for the first time in nearly a month.  Mommy 1: Tyler .. well also 1 b/c he enjoyed his food and got chocolate chips for dessert.  :)

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Rotfl. Ds is the same way. I have to do a great deal of "tricking" to get him to try stuff. "want some string cheese?" nope. "want a cookie?" YES!!!. "This (string cheese) is a cookie" om nom nom. "I guess you like string cheese. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Great job mom!  :)

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM

hahaha oh my god that is great technique. I'm going to remember that one.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Rotfl. Ds is the same way. I have to do a great deal of "tricking" to get him to try stuff. "want some string cheese?" nope. "want a cookie?" YES!!!. "This (string cheese) is a cookie" om nom nom. "I guess you like string cheese. Lol

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Way to go. Nice idea using the cereal. I would have never thought of that one

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM

good job mama, i wish it was as easy to trick jude, he may only be 2 and a half but that boy KNOWS no matter how well hidden if something is in a food that he doesnt like, and its futile to even try. we have tried a million diffrent ways, but unless he actually wants to eat it he wont, however ocasionally he will actually get in a spell where he eats 3 new foods for a few days before stopping, however its no near enough hince why he weighs the same as alot of 1 yr olds. hes only 25lbs and only 4 months from turning 3.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Yeah my son is the definition of 100th percentile in height.  Only 50th for weight... probably b/c at least half his weight is in his head:)  The boy does like to eat though.

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

You rock!!!!  How about corn dogs?  :)

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

tricking me didn't work as a kid, I was so sensitive Icould feel and taste the crunch of a tiny onion piece mixed into any sauce.

I love to eat though. LOL Just has to be stuff I like and while I like to eat the same foods for long periods of time, I really get sick of them after a while and convince myself to eat something else for a while. LOL

I found that forcing myself to try new foods as I got older really helped me learn to eat a larger variety, but it had to be my idea - and the cook had to be someone I trusted. ^.^

I think I was 21 when I finally figured out i'd eat green onions but not white or yellow.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Yeah for Tyler he will put anything in his mouth and at least taste it, but texture is the huge issue.  He loves spicy foods though so I think the next food trial may be spicy meatballs.  Meanwhile my 4 year old daughter is like oh HELL NO when it comes to trying new foods... At least she eats a lot already including veggies.  More broccoli please is not a phrase I ever expected.  But she balances it out by pretending to die a horrible death with any new dinner entre:) 

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I've very picky on fruits/veggies I'll eat, biut I LOVE broccoli. LOL

I can't stand spicey foods, I don't like most spices besides garlic.

And anything new? if it doesn't pass the smell test... very very very words of encouragement would make me try it... even as an adult. I do smell tests.. if it doesn't smell at least remotely interesting,I won't eat it.

I can generally tell by how stuff smells if my taste buds will like it.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Yeah for Tyler he will put anything in his mouth and at least taste it, but texture is the huge issue.  He loves spicy foods though so I think the next food trial may be spicy meatballs.  Meanwhile my 4 year old daughter is like oh HELL NO when it comes to trying new foods... At least she eats a lot already including veggies.  More broccoli please is not a phrase I ever expected.  But she balances it out by pretending to die a horrible death with any new dinner entre:) 

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)