Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I think you underestimate the sneakiness...

Posted by   + Show Post

So my son has many food sensitivities which limit his diet, but in addition he has a lot of texture aversions and has a hard time chewing foods that don't mush or break up pretty much instantly in his mouth.  So his diet is pretty much the same most days with various fruits rotated in and out for variety.  Well.  As of 3 weeks ago suddenly the kid HATES hotdogs, a staple for dinners.  Doesn't matter what flavor or brand, he's done eating them.  So after trying to wait him out, trying various brands, cooking them differently, nothing worked. 

And as I'm watching him refuse, I'm realizing it's a texture thing, for some reason he suddenly can't stand the mushy meat texture in his mouth.  BUT chicken nuggets with their crispy corn coating are A-OK at lunch... an evil and mildly desperate plan is hatched in my devious little mind.  I take his corn chex, a definite favorite, and make a hotdog sandwhich with corn chex cereal all around the hotdog.  I show him the cereal, say "hey bubs look! Cereal!" his little mouth opens obediently, and BAM hotdog sandwhich is stuffed in his mouth.  He chews, stops, considers spitting it out, and then apparently decides the crunch of corn chex cancels out the horror of the mushy hotdog, and eats ALL his dinner for the first time in nearly a month.  Mommy 1: Tyler .. well also 1 b/c he enjoyed his food and got chocolate chips for dessert.  :)

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-19):
ThreeSweetPs
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I love this! My child prefers crunchy textures and will not eat mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, etc. I just may try putting corn chex on the soft, mushy foods. Thanks for sharing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gogetem
by Mama Duck on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Lol.  Ya definitely have to be creative!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM

yay! Go mommy and Tyler!

HFBMOM
by Julie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My son is the opposite - He doesn't like crunchy foods like chips, popcorn, pretzels etc. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

OMG

That's awesome!
Way to go MOM!!!!!!!!!

I will have to try this. I hadn't thought of this at all.

Does your little one like pizza?

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a small cafe, and one of the autistic children who comes in regularly eats mac and cheese with crushed potato chips on top.   

Quoting ThreeSweetPs:

I love this! My child prefers crunchy textures and will not eat mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, etc. I just may try putting corn chex on the soft, mushy foods. Thanks for sharing!

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:56 AM

He wasn't eating solids all that well when we swapped to GFCF so I am sad to say tht at 2.5 years old the boy has never had pizza... He does like bacon and chocolate cake though so all is not lost:) 

Quoting Basherte:

OMG

That's awesome!
Way to go MOM!!!!!!!!!

shugerbit
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Landon is almost 2.5 and he does this pointer finger test, he slowly uses his pointer to test foods while looking the other way.  if his finger doesn't like it he doesn't.  sometimes when I know he likes it but won't eat it, I kind of force a small amount into his mouth and then he is like, oh yeah,I like that. he is a pretty good eater other than that.  he isn't a big fan of red meat, I can get him to eat hamburger if it is in my sauce or lasagna or shepherd's pie.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I only asked because my son wouldn't eat pizza either. Whether it was frozen stuff or the order out stuff. Then I went to a meet and greet at a school. I was there for culinary arts. The Chef had us each make our own pizza. My son tried it there. I had to take most of it home with us, because they had food there for us to eat as well. We were sitting in the gazebo (smoke hut) waiting on the bus and my son would walk over to the container with the pizza in it and grab some and eat it. After that day he will now eat the frozen, the stuff we order out for and my own fresh made pizza. 

I recently discovered that most of the foods that my son eats is round in shape. Except for the pop tarts that he eats and the cake that he eats.  There is also a texture that he will not eat at all. I discovered a whole bunch of stuff when I realized what textures he likes the most. 

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

He wasn't eating solids all that well when we swapped to GFCF so I am sad to say tht at 2.5 years old the boy has never had pizza... He does like bacon and chocolate cake though so all is not lost:) 

Quoting Basherte:

OMG

That's awesome!
Way to go MOM!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)