Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever have the experience of other people telling you that your child "looks fine" and that they don't see any signs of autism?

I do. It's hard to try and explain what ASD look like to just have someone (with NO experience) tell me that I'm overreacting. Thanks for your opinion but I'll stick with the "experts."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-14):
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I haven't. 

They should be glad they didn't, too. I'm not a very nice person to people who decide to tell me how to raise my son after seeing him for a few moments.

I am really quick to tell people to "back off."

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

My sister who put me on the path to find Aspergers actually said to me on the phone "he wasnt dx'd with autism".  GAH!!!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM

My father has said this.  He just has some corkyness, he says.  Well that is Autism.

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I get tired of hearing people say "oh these days people just try to find some kind of medical problem to explain away bad behavior....in my day we woulda got beat...blah blah blah"...... (it's always people around my Dad's age-62). They don't live with our kids. People typically can't tell my son has ASD. They also don't live with him and see the almost constant stimming, his social issues, etc..etc.. Ignorant comments are very hard for parents like us to hear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)