Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Advie please

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi really unsure if i want to do things alone with my autism Son without his father,  We where in the mail last week he had his favorite toy near the cars that you Can put money in.  We had rent a stroller that has a steering wheel thinking go in nope so after My husband went into the store I tired to just get push the stroller he went crazy.  This upcoming weekend is a family gathering at a restaurant that if I have to go I have to take Bayer migraine cause  that place cause migraine. 

Do to friends that will be there that basically only place they Can eat so I either suffer and take some for head or not go unsure how my son will handle this restaurant my husband might not be to tired to go but if I have been offend a ride don't think want to chance without hubby want do best for my son but also be with the family.  No mater what our sons will be at the governors restaurant where he love trains if they want to join that is cool   How do other people handle meltdown he seems OK in certain restaurants

We got the ball rolling with penquis for assistance for him he may start a morning preschool and do afternoon this program may help going to PCP today first time since diagnosed

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM

He would probably have sensory problems in the restaurant, but they can be overcome with a simple adjustment in order for him to have a good time. You can put either earplugs, which can be found in any store, in his ears or earphones. This will bring the noise down to easier to tolerate levels for him.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Leave your son at home with his father, and you go. It's not ideal, but it will be a solution in this case. I try not to do family gatherings without my husband either, because we take turns with my daughter, one of us eats while the other keeps her busy. Then we switch. We always end up leaving early, and don't really get a chance to socialize. You need your family, and this might be a good time to sit down and talk about your son's diagnosis and brainstorm ways that you can get them involved with your son in the future. Talk to them about meeting at the restaurant he likes, or getting together at someones house. In this case though, I would just go alone.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I'm confused about what you are trying to say. Is he having a meltdown because he cannot play w/ the toy cars you put coins into? Or is he upset because of the noise of the restaurant?? 

There is a train at our mall and my son will act as if he is going to DIE if we don't let him ride it. Well, it's $10 to ride and I am NOT spending that much money. So we told him no. And he continued to have a fit ALL night long and even woke up with nightmares about that damn train! So now, I will NOT take him to the mall. Until that train is gone, I am never going back. Especailly without my dh. 

How old is your son? If it were me, I just wouldn't go. Or I'd go w/ out him. 

Mpiggy4u
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My son is three there is only a few resturants in mall if don't play with cars he gets upset I don't drive so that makes it hard I guess I will skip and only do resturants Noah cna do starting the pizzling challenge sell 60 piece get Ipad

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I try my hardest to avoid places that I know will stess my son out. Since the beginning, we've tried to take my older two out with one parent while the other stays home with Dillon. Weve also all stayed home for certain occasions bc it really wasnt something any of us wanted to do in the first place. It's not ideal but it works for us.....

Now that he's older we simply ask if he wants to go or tell him what the plans are and it's gotten much better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mpiggy4u
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Thank you the place I'm talking about bothers me if I go have take something to stop migrane from starting it is a chinneess Resturant very busy think to much my family won't go ine my hubby works at cause his sister was fired think I will not go an ask people puck up gifts 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

If my son has a meltdown in a restaurant my husband takes him outside until he calms down.  Once he understands that he cannot yell and scream in the restaurant he is brought back into restaurant.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

i think i'm reading a telegraph lol

but i get your points.

if it is possible, i personally wouldn't go. it seems like its too stressful for you and your son.

as far as the preschool goes, i would see how it goes. if its not too much for him or you or if you get the break you need to recharge and it makes the stress levels go down, i think its probably a good thing :)

Mpiggy4u
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM

prayingThank you for all the advice we didn't go hubby was sleeping so made the choice easy we where invited to McDonald's on Broadway where play place choice was made again hubby had to work fine he can do McDonald's without inside play place sound  does anyone know will the  a good  amount  of services for my moderate son with autism I have tow meeting at the house in am ucp and penquis cap had make a choice I know he need socialization's 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)