Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job related question... getting fired today! UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 22 Replies

I will try to keep this as short as possible but I wanted some input from other Moms that know what I am really going through. I have been with the same large company for 2 years, my performance is above goal and I always make my sales. My issue is missing days due to Keira (my almost 3 year old autistic dd). 

They will not exclude any abscenses including one where she needed emergency life saving surgery after getting a forgien object lodged in her esophogus. I tried getting FMLA but I still 150 hours short.

I was on a final warning last time I was out, I missed some days this week because *I* was very sick, with a sinus infection, strep and chest infection. 

I am going back to work today and I know I will be let go.

I know they can fire me for any reason being in a "at will" state. But, I just don't think its good practice to fire someone for taking days off for their disabled daughter. 

Has anyone else gone through issues like this? 

UPDATE: Sorry I did not update sooner. Yesterday, work gave me 2 options either put in my notice and leave on good terms, or be fired and not be on good terms. (which would mean 0 unemployment. I was wicked upset because out of my office I am ranked # 28 out of 130 agents. I had to think really hard, and finally just put in my resignation. It's very hard to know if I did the right thing.  I was totally backed into a corner, and I am still saddened by the whole thing.  

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CollinMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I've been warned several times about missing for my DS. He is believed to be Autistic, we will have the official diagnosis on the 31st. Mine just officially got kicked out of his preschool this week, so it has gotten really bad. Luckily in my state, I can get FMLA at my one year mark which is on Feb 10th, so I am trying to be as "good" as i can be until then. It also doesn't help that I am 22 wks pregnant and have had alot of complications so I have missed alot for that also. come on Feb 10th, I cannot afford to lose my job. I will be praying for you today that the worst doesn't happen and you can make it thru the next 150 hrs!!! 

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Double check with your State.  They maybe breaking State employment law, even if it is an at will state.  

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Good luck today.  I hope that they decide not to fire you for this.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I hope you still have your job! What do they expect a mom to do? Especially one of a special needs child?

Let us know what happened today!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM

1) what is FMLA?

2) that shit makes me so angry :/

Familyart
by Denise on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM
You are so right. Even in a at will state which I also live in you have more rights then you think. Most employers count on those 3 words at will state. Please look into your rights further. An employment attorney may do a free consult with you if needed.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Double check with your State.  They maybe breaking State employment law, even if it is an at will state.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Family Medical Leave Act

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

1) what is FMLA?

2) that shit makes me so angry :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Sometimes I think businesses forget about the employees and think only of the numbers. I hate that so much. To me you would think that if a person produces good numbers the way you did they could somehow work a little more with you. To me personally I would rather have someone work for me who is dedicated and tries really hard than someone who is just there and doing the minimum to hold a job. Good luck momma. Will keep you guys in my prayers

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I would've told them to fire me so I could at least get unemployment until I find a new job.

((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Even though you still resigned, you might be able to get unemployment. A woman I used to work with resigne and then filed unemployment indicating that it was a stressful work environment that caused her to quit and she was granted unemployment benefits. The employer probably thinks because you willingly resigned that they won't have to pay out, but its worth a shot to still apply. Sorry about all this. Sending encouragement and hopes for a better job opportunity to come your way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)