Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

GFCF Meal planning help

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

Sorry for posting so much about this lately. I'm so overwhelmed right now and it's like I have a mental block. I'm reading a book about going GFCF and it's been so helpful. I also bought a (kindle) GFCF recipe book but haven't gotten to it yet.

I am having a big problem though... in this "learning" stage, I don't know what the heck to cook! We've eaten out so much over the last few days because I haven't been to the grocery store... and I haven't been because I can't think of hardly any GFCF meals... because I'm still reading the book. Even the obvious is escaping me.

Can you guys help me out with a few basic meal ideas? Even if it's just something obvious like grilled pork chops and steamed broccoli with natural balance spread and salt for dinner... or eggs and grits with natural balance spread and salt. Nothing is too simple. I just really need some help.

TIA!

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I use these a lot. I can make meatloaf, chicken strips, meatballs, etc.

My meatloaf receipe:

1-1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup of gluten free breadcrumbs
1 zucchini (finely chopped)
1 egg
1 garlic clove
Sea salt
Italian seasoning (sometimes I just use oregano or basil instead)

Mix in a bowl. Form into a loaf, cover, and bake on 375 for about 1 1/2 hrs. I like to bake it in a glass dish.

Top with gluten free ketchup, gravy, or tomato sauce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Since I started eating gluten free foods, I have discovered a growth in the number of places offering gluten free products and an increase in the number of gluten free products in the stores. It used to be only offered in the health food stores, and now I can find it in the regular grocery stores. I know my local Super Walmart offers a selection of gluten free foods. I eat a lot of potatoes, rice pasta, and plain rice as my side dishes. Many of the flavored rice dishes contain gluten or wheat in them. I discovered reading the product label of many processed foods saved me a return trip back to return the product or wasting space in my pantry of products containing gluten. You would be amazed at how many products contain gluten in the grocery store. If it just says flour on the label and not gluten free, it means it came from wheat. Gluten can be found in wheat, rye, barley, malt, and processed oats. I recommend the gluten free Rice Crispies because the regular one contains malt. Chex cereals came out with five gluten free cereal products, and I love the honey nut Chex.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

amandae21
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Where do you buy them? Online or in store? My Kroger has a somewhat decent selection of GF grain products (considering it's a mass retailer) and I go to Trader Joes once a week, but they don't carry Glutino. Does Whole Foods? I'm thinking about going there tomorrow instead of TJs (both are far from me, that's why I plan a weekly trip).

Quoting newmommy430:

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I recommend trying your local natural foods store. It might have a larger selection of gluten free foods than your local supermarket. It can be located in your telephone book. You might also want to talk to your supermarket or grocery store manager about carrying more Glutino or gluten free products. It is always worth a try in asking.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I think whole foods has it. I go to a store called Mrs Greens. I can also get them at the natural foods section at my local grocery store, but I know not all have them.

I have also crushed up Chex cereal and used it as breadcrumbs before.

Quoting amandae21:

Where do you buy them? Online or in store? My Kroger has a somewhat decent selection of GF grain products (considering it's a mass retailer) and I go to Trader Joes once a week, but they don't carry Glutino. Does Whole Foods? I'm thinking about going there tomorrow instead of TJs (both are far from me, that's why I plan a weekly trip).

Quoting newmommy430:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I use this to make really good gravy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate00
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Here are some that we do:

1) "Fish fries" - really fish sticks but we are going for the marketing :).  This recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/fish-sticks/.  Elana's Pantry also has a good pizza crust.

2) We call these bean pancakes.  Mash up a can of rinsed and drained northern beans and mix with a beaten egg, bread crumbs (I just put 1-2 slices of GF bread in my food processor), Italian seasoning, and salt.  then I shape into patties and pan fry in some coconut oil or olive oil.

3) Vegan mac and cheese: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/09/vegan-macaroni-and-cheese/.  This one is not hard but it's a little bit of work since there are several steps.  We get a lot of leftovers though.

4) Chicken nuggets - I use the recipe from the cookbook Eat Like a Dinosaur but it might be on their site: www.paleoparents.com

5) Love this one too: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-breakfast-bread/.  Lot of protein and good fats.

Some others that aren't really recipes: Applegate Farms hotdogs, cheeseburgers (my son will do this without the bun).  Grilled "cheese" sandwiches with tofutti cream cheese as the cheese.  For breakfast I make a lot of muffins and freeze them.  I put veggies and mashed beans in them for protein, and add chocolate chips so he'll actually eat them.  You can also do breakfast for dinner - scrambled eggs, French toast (can add a jar of baby food squash in the batter).  PB&J on Udi's bread (we use sunbutter and almond butter).  

I also really like the website www.spunkycoconut.com.  Her daughter is autistic and GFCF.  She has some good recipes, especially her baked goods.  The ADHD&Autism Cookbook is great for beginners - some great easy recipes that takes into account our picky eaters.  I purchased it but it was in my library too.  

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Instead of Tofutti cheese, I would recommend Daiya instead. We should really keep our kids away from soy, its just as bad as gluten and dairy.

How about gluten free pasta and tomato sauce? You can make a gluten free pizza with the daiya cheese. An omlette, soup, salads, grilled veggies. I make a good pancake which is just one spoon cashew butter, one spoon macadamia butter, half a banana and an egg mixed together and fried in coconut oil. Here is a link to my pinterest, there should be some good ideas there (link) under the boards called Health and Food, Holiday Meal Planner and A Pancake a Day...

Tip * If its called Paleo, GAPS or SCD then it is also gluten and dairy free

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

get the kid friendly adhd&autsim cook book. it has lots of good recipes and info

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)