Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New Hair Cut

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok so I went and cut bangs into my hair last night and ds who is ASD didn't see to care too much for that. He would just stare at me while he was laying on my lap. He would constantly push them out of my face. Has anyone elses ASD child reacted to a new hair cut on mom

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

My son doesn't care about my hair anymore, but when he was little, he didn't even like if I wore my hair different.  Like, if I put it in a ponytail, or clip it up he would try to take the clip out.

MomtoLou
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I just cut 8 inches off my hair, cut bangs and colored it. My daughter is still angry at me and won't look at me because I changed my hair to much. She cried the whole first day after she saw it. 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Not like that, but my little guy has told me my hair was too messy when I've worn it in a curly style.  He's fine with it after I explain that the curls aren't supposed to be smoothed down.  lol

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

When my daughter with aspergers was 3 yrs old, I got a perm.  She had a big meltdown when she saw me.  Recently, I mentioned I was thinking about getting a perm again.  My daughter who is now 11 is clearly against me changing my hairstyle.  She told me " don't do it!  It is so 80's!"  I was amused.

VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I came home in a bright red wig one day, my daughter just started circling me all wide eyed. I think it took her a few minutes to figure out who I was. She always laughs at me when I wear a wig.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I replied earlier to this topic,  I am the one whose then 3 yr old had the meltdown when I got a perm.  After 8 yrs wearing my hair long straight with bangs I wanted something new.  I tried to get my 11 yr old daughter involved with the process hoping to avoid problems with hairstyle change.  We looked at photos and she picked the ones she liked.  I went to the hair stylist yesterday with all the photos.  She had some suggestions and I ended up with an A-line bob.  Since my hair is absolutely straight and very fine and flat this style works.  I liked it and was thrilled.  When I picked my daughter from school yesterday; she got in the car, looked at me, and said in her aspergers style "That is awful.  You look like Dora the Explorer".  She proceeded to say the stylist was awful and she hoped I wouldn't take her to that stylist.  I promised her she could go to Supercuts and I would keep the expensive hair stylist for myself.  Several hours later she came to me and said "your hair looks nice" but then she looked at me again and said "it really is awful".  I gave her a hug and told her I loved her and I liked my new hair style even if she didn't.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Ds LOVES running his fingers in my hair, yanking on it.. luckily he didn't care when I put bangs in it but now its actually insentive to grow it out again :)    As a baby he would become frantic if my hair was wet though, completely hysterical.. maybe he just didn't recognise me?  but talking to him didn't help either with it..  hopefully hes just fascinated with your new bangs :)

Serena0404
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
This is kinda similar but not quite the same thing....my 3 year old w/ASD doesn't like when my husband or I take our glasses off. We wear them all the time & whenever we remove them briefly it's all he can do to tell us "gasses" so we put them back on. Guess we must look so out of context to him w/out them ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I bet it's cute my son hasn't noticed too much 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN