Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ABA Question

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
  • 40 Replies

What are your thoughts on ABA for helping Autism? I am an ABA IT and work with child that are as young as 2 all the way up to 18. I love my work and the kids, but I am just wondering what your thoughts are about ABA. I guess I am just wanting to know what the parents really think about ABA.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kate00
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Love ABA!  It has been the single best thing that we have done for our son.  We were fortunate to find a center that is really amazing at what they do.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I love ABA. My ds has made such progress in 5 months. We went fron no speech to him requesting juice saying more juice. He will repeat words back to us. I heard I love you for the first time after he began ABA. His tutor is the best. She encourages through play and he loves it. I see a different little boy who gives eye contact can tell me he is thirsty or wants to eat. He has done so well they have added potty training to his new goal because they feel he is ready to start. ABA has given us hope and encouragement when we were starting to lose it. I am ever grateful for ABA

tictacmama
by Arlea on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM

My son is much more involved with us than he was 6 months ago, and I believe ABA had a lot to do with that.

kris0921
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
This is my favorite way to interact/teach our kids, through NET! I am glad your ds has improved so much in a short time!

Quoting JTMOM422:

I love ABA. My ds has made such progress in 5 months. We went fron no speech to him requesting juice saying more juice. He will repeat words back to us. I heard I love you for the first time after he began ABA. His tutor is the best. She encourages through play and he loves it. I see a different little boy who gives eye contact can tell me he is thirsty or wants to eat. He has done so well they have added potty training to his new goal because they feel he is ready to start. ABA has given us hope and encouragement when we were starting to lose it. I am ever grateful for ABA

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I am glad to hear you found a great center! ABA is amazing, but its even better when the center has amazing BCBAs/BCABAs and ABA ITs that love working and helping these children and young adults!

Quoting Kate00:

Love ABA!  It has been the single best thing that we have done for our son.  We were fortunate to find a center that is really amazing at what they do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope you keep seeing progress with your son!

Quoting tictacmama:

My son is much more involved with us than he was 6 months ago, and I believe ABA had a lot to do with that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dora-rulz
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Love ABA! My dd has improved SO much since we found a classroom that uses ABA. It's like a door opened & she is suddenly interacting w/ us & started talking. The day she looked at me & said "I love you" still makes me cry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sheriff6
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We do Son-rise not ABA. One reason is that everyone we talked to that used ABA liked the results but their child still has issues with social situations.  I'm sure it is different with each children, but 100% of those I talked to about ten different families said their child still has issues with making friends.

kris0921
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Aw! I hope she keeps improving!

Quoting Dora-rulz:

Love ABA! My dd has improved SO much since we found a classroom that uses ABA. It's like a door opened & she is suddenly interacting w/ us & started talking. The day she looked at me & said "I love you" still makes me cry.

kris0921
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I can see how this can happen with ABA, but it does depend on the center, BCBAs/BCABAs, and ABA ITs. I am glad you have found a program that works for you and your child!

Quoting Sheriff6:

We do Son-rise not ABA. One reason is that everyone we talked to that used ABA liked the results but their child still has issues with social situations.  I'm sure it is different with each children, but 100% of those I talked to about ten different families said their child still has issues with making friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)