Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What are your thoughts on ABA for helping Autism? I am an ABA IT and work with child that are as young as 2 all the way up to 18. I love my work and the kids, but I am just wondering what your thoughts are about ABA. I guess I am just wanting to know what the parents really think about ABA.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Marcy_182
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I think you really have to have faith in the things you are working with your child for them to be effective like some diets or therapies  work for some children and for other dont... I hesitate about ABA but we started a few months back and it is going better that i tought we are moving fast on progress we already change goals twice in only a couple of months, we are working on compliance and behavior because thats what is on the way of progress for our son, since he is very strong minded if he doesnt like something like school work he cross his arms and refuses to work we need to break that a little bit so he can be ready for school... im looking forward to all the new goals to come for him 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Love it!!!

My son is getting this at his preschool. He's been in therapy since he was a little over a year old, and he just turned 4. I can't say enough good things. He's progressed so much over that time. I'm so proud of him. He recently actually used a spoon to feed himself his snack at school. I'm so proud. His therapist was really proud of him too.

I have to send in a note to see what kind of a spoon he used. Because I want to be on the same page as they are. 

kris0921
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I hear this a bunch when parents tour the center. Most are very hesitant, and I can understand why. I am glad it is going well, and I hope he keeps improving!

Quoting Marcy_182:

I think you really have to have faith in the things you are working with your child for them to be effective like some diets or therapies  work for some children and for other dont... I hesitate about ABA but we started a few months back and it is going better that i tought we are moving fast on progress we already change goals twice in only a couple of months, we are working on compliance and behavior because thats what is on the way of progress for our son, since he is very strong minded if he doesnt like something like school work he cross his arms and refuses to work we need to break that a little bit so he can be ready for school... im looking forward to all the new goals to come for him 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Aw thats wonderful! It is very important to be on the same page, but also have him learn diversity, and to do this the therapist may I even come into your home to help. We have done in home feedings (because the child would eat at school, but not at home) and within about a month major improvements! Good luck and I hope he will eat at home for you with a spoon soon!

Quoting Basherte:

Love it!!!

My son is getting this at his preschool. He's been in therapy since he was a little over a year old, and he just turned 4. I can't say enough good things. He's progressed so much over that time. I'm so proud of him. He recently actually used a spoon to feed himself his snack at school. I'm so proud. His therapist was really proud of him too.

I have to send in a note to see what kind of a spoon he used. Because I want to be on the same page as they are. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

what is an ABA IT?

I love ABA. Wish I could afford more of it. I pay out of pocket for 2 hrs a week, $130/week. It did in one session what 10 sessions of ST could ever come close to.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The therapists he has now don't come to the home. I had three of those before he turned 3. They were wonderful. 

I guess I could figure out if I still have that option, but I don't think so. 

My son never really had a problem eating at home, he just has issues using utensils. He had been using them before he turned a year old, but that stopped.

Quoting kris0921:

Aw thats wonderful! It is very important to be on the same page, but also have him learn diversity, and to do this the therapist may I even come into your home to help. We have done in home feedings (because the child would eat at school, but not at home) and within about a month major improvements! Good luck and I hope he will eat at home for you with a spoon soon!

Quoting Basherte:

Love it!!!

kris0921
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM
An ABA IT is a behavior analyst individual trainer. I am glad its workong for you.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

what is an ABA IT?

I love ABA. Wish I could afford more of it. I pay out of pocket for 2 hrs a week, $130/week. It did in one session what 10 sessions of ST could ever come close to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quoting kris0921:

An ABA IT is a behavior analyst individual trainer. I am glad its workong for you.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

what is an ABA IT?

cool. you probably answered that already, i just didn't read all the replies. Also, are you a BCaBA? or working towards your BCBA?

kris0921
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I am working to become a BCABA, then once I achieve that, I will go on to be a BCBA. I am looking for the right school to transfer to, to finish the degree.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting kris0921:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

what is an ABA IT?

cool. you probably answered that already, i just didn't read all the replies. Also, are you a BCaBA? or working towards your BCBA?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countryfiedmama
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM
2 moms liked this
What does it take to become certified as an ABA IT? I'm a Behavior Analyst Assistant and I'm just wondering if its close to the same certification. I am also looking for a program to further my education and get a higher degree in behavior modification.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)