Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Since my son was 5 we were told he had A.D.H.D. That was 7 yrs ago. We only recently got his diagnosis of ASD. Throughout the years there were signs of Autism but I was in denial. Total denial. He's almost 12 and will just now be starting his therapies. I try to stay optimistic but every time I read anything on the subject I always see the words "early intervention".  I feel so sad today. I feel like I have failed my son by waiting this long to get him to proper help he needs. I feel like everyone else in the world has gotten their kids help by the time they were 5-6 yrs old. ......not 12.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Replies (31-35):
bugsmama149
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Aww, thank you so much. Regrets are hard to live with for sure. But regretting things doesn't get us anywhere. We're moving forward with this new chapter in our lives and we're staying positive. The 'what ifs' are hard but that 's all they are----"what ifs".  We're gonna just keep focusing on what we can do for our son now. He's such a great kid. Take care

Quoting ermasdaughter:

That's a tough one sis....   I will say this, I just finished reading the work of a buddist  nun named Pema Chodron.  She said she was reviewing everything she had taught over the years and it (life) all came down to a few things- two of which were 'everything changes' and 'developing loving kindness toward's one's imperfect self.'  

Of course, some regrets are very real.  But it does seem that Pema is right, that there is a softness that can go with how we evaluate ourselves..  This is really difficult stuff and we don't get it right all time.  But know this:  our kids can be helped at any age.  It's far from too late.....   

Be kind to yourself as you figure out the best course going forward.  

Cubanmom84
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Hun it took me a bit to get him an actual diagnoses, I got him early intervention as in therapy but I didn't officially get a diagnoses until he was about 3 1/2. I wasnt in dinial per say, but the neurologist in FL did tell me that my child was fine, he just had the "terrible two's", and I actually let it go for about 6 months because I trusted the damn doctor, and then I woke the hell up, and moved out of that damn state and got a diagnoses within a year in KY...

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Dont beat yourself up..I dont remember hearing about autism that far back.. if you did you didnt hear much on it. Doctors just watched for adhd..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Quoting Cubanmom84:

Oh Hun it took me a bit to get him an actual diagnoses, I got him early intervention as in therapy but I didn't officially get a diagnoses until he was about 3 1/2. I wasnt in dinial per say, but the neurologist in FL did tell me that my child was fine, he just had the "terrible two's", and I actually let it go for about 6 months because I trusted the damn doctor, and then I woke the hell up, and moved out of that damn state and got a diagnoses within a year in KY...

its terrible when docs lead you down the wrong path! i agree for sure.

scarlita88
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM

please,please dont feel bad or guilty! it is not unusual for a much later dx. especially if your son is high functioning and has average or above avg. intelligence.even if you did know something was wrong. you were probably like me. the docs say adhd and they are the experts so...just remember all the things you have done right. probably instinctively. so in a way he has already been having some early interventions. besides my experiences with e.i. were not all they were cut out to be. and also: think how awesome your son is that he adapted and did as well as he has to thwart dx for that long! must be a wonderful kid. and a great mom. just sayin...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)