Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

help.advice

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

first of all my real name is Tracie..i use yvonne cause i don't have a middle name..but always liked Yvonne. i need some help or advice..or whatever you can throw my way. is there any way i can get free pecs or something on that line. i am a single mom of 5 my 4 year old is a girl and was diagnosed at 23 months. she likes to pull her sisters hair and she is 3 my 4 year old name is Hope. Hope likes to pull hair..bite..pinch..yell..and it gets on my nerves. please help me.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Did I get that right, a single mom of 5? And you are still alive enough to post a message?

Sounds like some of that is just regular sister stuff. I don't have girls but I'm guessing the old time out would be a good place to start if you haven't tried that yet. When my boy was four and he did things that were dangerous or "naughty" I would pick him up, say "that is not acceptable" and sit him gently on a step in our kitchen, then set the times for 4 minutes, if he got up I would put him back, no eye contact or conversation and reset the timer. They know when you mean business. It might take a day to get her to stay on the step but if you are unwavering she will do it and then she will think twice about doing something after you ask her to stop. It really works but it takes time and effort and most of all consistency.  Good luck and welcome-  xo

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I make my own pecs cards, I draw them, but you could just as easily either take a picture of the item, or google a picture of it, and print it out. I found some self laminating pouches, like for business cards, at our local dollar store. There are 15 per pack I think, and I also picked up a big white board and the little round velcro tabs from the dollar store too. I put up the board in our kitchen with all the pictures on velcro. My daughter took to it right away. She hands me the card now when she is getting upset and wanting something. It took the meltdowns and frustration down alot with her being able to communicate. It actually ended up bringing out more words too, every time she would hand me the card I would say what it was, and eventually I would ask her "what's this" and she would tell me. Its been great for her speech, and she uses it at school too now.

Welcome to the group!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My ds therapist gets them off line and prints them. She covers them in laminate. My son didn't take too well to them in the beginning. His ABA wants to give them another try though. Good luck and welcome to the group.

CLY84
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought of taking her to behavioral therapy? You can even get a TSS worker to come out and mediate her meltdowns or bad behavior.   Or an early intervention program offered to you by the state/school system. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)