Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

need some direction to get help for my son, he wants to drop out...

Posted by   + Show Post
My 13yr old son has Aspergers.... He has an IEP and a BIP. However, his teachers place him in the ISS room as much as 4-5 times a week and he is suspended out of school at LEAST twice a month. The usual label for the suspensions are "noncompliance" or "insubordination". We have only lived in this state for 19 months. Until we came here he was an honor roll student. He was in this school last year for 7th grade and only passed because they put him in summer school. So far this year his grades are mainly Fs with Ds. I really hate the idea of him failing and being in this school another year. When asked what his goal for the future is, his answer is "to drop out of school at 16" this breaks my heart. I need help/advice/suggestions please! Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Replies (71-73):
mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

hmmm.... but they only have the class every other day so .....

I think he would do better without the A/B thing. but of course in life he will have to learn to adapt to change so I cant really complain too much about

Quoting Hottubgodess:

I was told it increases the time in a classroom. 

Quoting mommaTLC186:

I agree! I find it confusing and I'm not ASD. Also, my oldest son is in 9th grade in the high school and they also do A/B day, even he gets confused sometimes. I don't understand the purpose of it.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

I feel the AB Day schedule is stupid!!!  My nephew is on that, and I find it confusing as hell!  

OP - our kids stuggle with transition - and that is too darn confusing.  

Momofonecoolkid - Wahoo!!!!!!  Progress!!!!! 

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Congrats to you!! I think my son would do better without having 6 different teachers and the school does A day B day schedules where they have different teachers on A ... Different ones on B .. I think its too over whelming for him. I plan on bringing that up whenever I can get a date for a meeting 'sigh'

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Either his IEP is failing him, or his teacher is.  Or both.  Get an advocate, and get the school to help him.  Sorry you are dealing with this....and I understand how heart breaking this is - my 2nd grader went thru this last year.  Our problem was both - Teacher was an idiot and IEP was poorly written.  This year is great. 

Have you considered an IEE (independent eval at school cost?)  At minimum a Functional Behavioural Assessment is needed (to see how he functions/doesnt function in his envirnment).  Our IEE (I went out of area and used NOT a single person on the list the school gave me...) showed Mike had delayed processing and sensory overload (which I kept telling them, but they refused to see....).  An IEE by a psychiatrist, psychologist or in our case a pediatric Neuropsychologist may give you some answers the school MOSTLIKELY missed.  ((HUGS)). 

Stealing from OP a little, guess what Jackie? I FINALLY got an educational advocate and she said she could get ds EXACTLY what he needed. An inclusion program with typically developing peers WITH the supports that he needs!

FINALLY! Just wanted to share!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Congrats to you!! I think my son would do better without having 6 different teachers and the school does A day B day schedules where they have different teachers on A ... Different ones on B .. I think its too over whelming for him. I plan on bringing that up whenever I can get a date for a meeting 'sigh'

That does sound crazy. Those IEP meetings can be maddening!

mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I have anger management issues that IEP meetings trigger lol

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting mommaTLC186:

That does sound crazy. Those IEP meetings can be maddening!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN