Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous-today's the day!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:15 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Nervous about today....but I know this is the best option for my little man and it doesn't have to be permenant. I am removing my 5 yr old son from public school today and putting him into Giggles Autism Therapy Center where he will get all therapy during the weekday along with a homeschooling program. He is only a mild-to-moderate Aspie but I think will still benefit from ABA, social skills training, and OT. They will give him an assesment to develope a therapy plan for him. The place also offers ST but I'm not really sure he needs it. His real issue is that he still has meltdowns related to social-type issues, perfectionism and sensory type issues (this is the lesser issue of the two).

My son was just diagnosed(PDD-NOS probable Asperger's mild-to-moderate, ADHD, mood disorder-NOS)/discharged from a day treatment program and although his medications that he received there has greatly improved his unsafe behavior he is still having the issues mentioned above. And honestly, I don't like my 5 yr old son being on 4 pills of pysch meds a day. I am hoping that with therapy, they can teach him to handle these things so that maybe eventually he can come off some of these medications. Plus, the school just looks at his issues as behavioral problems. It's great that my son's reading level is higher than they are able to test at this time (he is in kindergarten) but the special ed teacher from the day treatment program said that she is concerned that Liam has processing issues and of course he takes longer to complete his work (especially with cutting and pasting and he outright REFUSES to do most coloring which is a main requirement for most kindergarten work). She recommended special education screening. I just wanted them to follow the recommendation-to screen him, he may not need it but if this special ed teacher from the day treatment program expressed concerns, I'd like them to at least test him! At the Therapy Center he can work at his own pace on his school-work. He can work at kindergarten level math while working at a 3rd grade reading level. I kinda like that flexibility.

Anyways, so today is the day I pull him out of public mainstream school until next year (first grade). He has been going to Giggles for 2 weeks now after-school and loves it. He says, "It's just so nice to finally talk to normal people like me!" I hope this is the right decision for him and he will beneift from this!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM
2 moms liked this

If I had a place like giggles I would consider it seriously. Don't worry for a minute. Your son is going to get all the stuff he needs and a kind of social interaction that is comfortable for him...how great is that! To feel like part of the group instead of different? Makes my eyes tear up! You are going a great job mom, taking chances and getting your boy what he needs to thrive. Hats off to you....XO

terri-553
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Good for both of you
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Your son definitely needs OT from the sounds of it because he has fine motor skills problems. I used to have fine motor skills problems until I had OT in the eighth grade. You might want to read up on Special Education at http://www.wrightslaw.com/ before he starts the first grade. I will give you some useful resources to help you out even more with him.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Good luck!  I think you're making the right decision.

Dora-rulz
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM
I completely agree. My dd is in an autism classroom & we are moving the end of school year. He wants to move closer to his job. While I understand that I want to stay in this school district. She is doing so well they want to slowly mainstream her next year. You are doing what is best for your son & that's what counts,

Quoting lucasmadre:

If I had a place like giggles I would consider it seriously. Don't worry for a minute. Your son is going to get all the stuff he needs and a kind of social interaction that is comfortable for him...how great is that! To feel like part of the group instead of different? Makes my eyes tear up! You are going a great job mom, taking chances and getting your boy what he needs to thrive. Hats off to you....XO

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Awww I love what he said! I think what you're doing for him sounds wonderful.... The fact that you are both happy with the school, the people, the therapy... What a perfect fit! I wish there were something like that close to me!

I think Liam is going to do so well there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
she-ra2000
by Deborah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM

That sounds great. I hope it works out for him!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I know we talked about this school and it sounds great. I talked to my ABA tutor about it and she said we don't have one around here. But the company she works for has talked about opening one. They didn't know tricare paid for it. Do you mind me asking what state you live in. Just to see if we are in the same tricare region. I am so excited that your ds can go there. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get one here in Tn. 

Do you not plan on him continuing there after kindergarten?  I guess I am wondering because my ds was dx PDDNOS autistic and I was wondering if mainstreaming him in public school after he starts first grade would be best or trying to keep him in an ABA program would be better. Thanks for the help

MommaHubbard
by Shannel on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM

We live in TX. There are actually a few of these Therapy Centers that offer everything at one place with a homeschooling program at all of them. Tricare will cover up to $36,000 a year. I honestly did this with the intension of mainstreaming him in first grade. I was told by the Director/Owner of Giggles that the school willmost likely require he be tested to make sure he can go back in at first grade since he won't be completing kindergarten there. My son's formal evaluation hasn't happened yet (where they actually test his social and cognitive abilities)-we are on a waiting list, right now it looks like March. Liam received his diagnosis from a group of child psychiatrists, therapists, fellows, etc from a day treatment program he was just released from based on 3 weeks of observation and interaction with him. However, it is suspected that his IQ is slightly above average so, I'm hoping that an academic test when he goes back to mainstream school won't be a problem. But, like I said, I like the flexibility of the acadmic program that homeschooling offers. And, of course, Liam really just needs full-time therapy right now. But, I'm hoping that with intensive therapy while he's this young, it will allow him to re-integrate into a mainstream school easier. Right now, this is what I'm planning to do with Liam but we will see how all this goes. If Tricare will cover therapy longer and Liam still has things left to work on, I may keep him there longer. He is only mild-to-moderate Asperger's so, we will see how much progress he can make in the amount of time I've planned. However, Liam is also supposed to visit his father (my Ex) this summer for 10 weeks. I'm not totaly sure how  Liam will react to that since it will be a huge experience and he likes his routine. That trip may take a toll on his progress. But, we are lucky that so much is covered-most people have to go into incredible debt to get this kind-of service or just forgo it all together. We will be getting it for $30 a month and his father's continued service to our country.

I'm sure that your son will qualify for everything my Liam does. I hope you can find a place in your area like we have here-we are lucky to be in a metroplex! But, I would try contacting the ECHO program and ask them to email you a list of ABA therapy providers. You may be able to find one like we have here within driving distance depending on where you guys are actually located. Good luck!!!

Quoting JTMOM422:

I know we talked about this school and it sounds great. I talked to my ABA tutor about it and she said we don't have one around here. But the company she works for has talked about opening one. They didn't know tricare paid for it. Do you mind me asking what state you live in. Just to see if we are in the same tricare region. I am so excited that your ds can go there. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get one here in Tn. 

Do you not plan on him continuing there after kindergarten?  I guess I am wondering because my ds was dx PDDNOS autistic and I was wondering if mainstreaming him in public school after he starts first grade would be best or trying to keep him in an ABA program would be better. Thanks for the help

Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I have a feeling that this is the right decision.

You are doing a great job, momma. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)