Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Report card.....

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this
Today was report card day.... William got 3 C, 2 D and 1 F. 2 weeks ago they where all Fs, so I'm proud of him for raising those given all the stress he's going through right now at school :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats.  It shows that he hasn't given up on school yet!  Hopefully once everyone gets on the same page he will continue to show improvement.

mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I'm of course hearing negative comments because of the D and F it is said he should be punished. However I praised him for his improvements. I don't see how punishing him is going to help him progress, he is making an effort....... Does that sound like I'm babying him?

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Congrats.  It shows that he hasn't given up on school yet!  Hopefully once everyone gets on the same page he will continue to show improvement.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I wouldn't punish him.  I don't think it would do a bit of good at this point.     

I would however, help him set some goals for his grades and come up with rewards and consequences depending on his grades next grading period.  Let him know that you will monitor his grades weekly.  For example, if he has an A in a class you could reward him with extra computer or video game time.  If he has a B he gets extra time as well.  If he has a C, he has to do 20 mins of structured remedial work in addition to his homework.  If he has a D he has to do 30  mins for structured remedial work in addition to his homework.  If he has an F, he has to do 30 mins of remedial work per night and is not allowed to watch tv or play video games on week nights.  Explain that the extra work isn't a punishment, that the purpose is to help him improve his grade.  As soon as his grade returns to an acceptable level, he can stop with the extra work.

Have him agree.  Write it down and both of you should sign it.  Give him a copy and you keep a copy.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

I'm of course hearing negative comments because of the D and F it is said he should be punished. However I praised him for his improvements. I don't see how punishing him is going to help him progress, he is making an effort....... Does that sound like I'm babying him?

Quoting Bluerose1482:

mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Love that idea!! Thank you so much :)

Quoting Bluerose1482:

I would however, help him set some goals for his grades and come up with rewards and consequences depending on his grades next grading period.  Let him know that you will monitor his grades weekly.  For example, if he has an A in a class you could reward him with extra computer or video game time.  If he has a B he gets extra time as well.  If he has a C, he has to do 20 mins of structured remedial work in addition to his homework.  If he has a D he has to do 30  mins for structured remedial work in addition to his homework.  If he has an F, he has to do 30 mins of remedial work per night and is not allowed to watch tv or play video games on week nights.  Explain that the extra work isn't a punishment, that the purpose is to help him improve his grade.  As soon as his grade returns to an acceptable level, he can stop with the extra work.

Have him agree.  Write it down and both of you should sign it.  Give him a copy and you keep a copy.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Your welcome.  I stole it from my parents btw.

My parents simply agreed to leave me alone about school as long as I had A's and B's.  They didn't care when or if I did homework or studied as long as I didn't have any C's.  Having a C meant I had to copy down my homework, have it signed by my teacher, do my homework imediately after school and study for 20 mins per subject under the supervision of mom or dad.  By middle school, I would have walked on hot coals to avoid a "C"!   

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Way to go William.

mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Lol I bet... No one cared what I did in school so I personally don't know what works n what doesn't. I parent with alot of trial and error lol my oldest and youngest sons both do good in school without much prompting.

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Your welcome.  I stole it from my parents btw.

My parents simply agreed to leave me alone about school as long as I had A's and B's.  They didn't care when or if I did homework or studied as long as I didn't have any C's.  Having a C meant I had to copy down my homework, have it signed by my teacher, do my homework imediately after school and study for 20 mins per subject under the supervision of mom or dad.  By middle school, I would have walked on hot coals to avoid a "C"!   

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I am proud of how he did on the report card despite the stress he has been under school, too. He was missing important parts of class that the textbook did not include when the teacher taught. It made it harder to get good grades in class because tests and homework could be missed easy. I hope next semester goes better with him with the adjustments to his IEP and BIP soon.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:05 AM
On his report card it shows absences.... Just in his language arts class alone he missed 27 days! Its amazing that he raised his grades with hardly any class time! I really really hope that after the meeting on Wednesday things get better for him. Thank you for your support :)

Quoting dawncs:

I am proud of how he did on the report card despite the stress he has been under school, too. He was missing important parts of class that the textbook did not include when the teacher taught. It made it harder to get good grades in class because tests and homework could be missed easy. I hope next semester goes better with him with the adjustments to his IEP and BIP soon.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I try not to pay attention so much to the grades as I do to see them either getting frustrated or progressing.

Hopefully with the new changes, you'll see much more progress!

Myspace Comments

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)