Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

going to bathroom alot

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter started kindergarten this year and was introduced to new school. At beginning of year she started wetting her pants and going pee like 30 times a day. i took her to doc got checked out and no urinary tract infection or anything else. she also started to wet her pants and not even care if her pants were wet. it was almost like i was potty training her all over again. i couldn't even take her to a store without her wetting herself even if she has just went. this has finally stopped.  they said it was probably her acting out to all the new changes. well now she doesn't go as much as she has but she is still always wanting to go. the teacher says she goes like 15 times a day and when she is home she doesn't go alot. i don't see her needing to continually go to bathroom at home like she does at school. i do notice that before we go to school she goes to bathroom and when we get to school which is 5 minutes from my home. could this just be her nerves? this is what i thought since medical has been ruled out. should i be looking into maybe having her go somewhere else? she can't tell me what's bothering her. she does talk but it's to ask for something. she isn't that verbal though so she can't tell me if there was an issue. she does have a good relationship with her teacher but i don't see that with the aids in her classroom. she never had this problem when she was in preschool intervention. just since she started kindergarten this year. what would you do? also at her school they do change aides every quarter. could this be a problem for her? it is so hard not having them communicate how they feel.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

My ds doesn't do we'll with change. During the holidays we missed 3 weeks of therapy and when we got back he saw his speech therapist in a different place. Major meltdown. He normally only sees her in the pool for speech. We had to meet her at the center that day. The next time he was suppose to see her she was out sick. So when we went to the pool yesterday he had a meltdown before entering the building. He threw a fit when she tried to get him in the pool. So I do see anything change in personnel being an issue. My son likes routines and when it's changed he does not know what to do. He is pretty much nonverbal so meltdowns is how he lets us know. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I would definately say it's her nerves and trying to get used to the changes that going to school and being away from home brings...I HATE the fact that they change her aide so much...how is she supposed to accept them and how in the world are they going to get to know her and figure out what methods work best as far as teaching her? Why are they changing her aide so much? My CST tries their hardest to make sure they know an aide is dedicated enough to the child they are assigned... 

BKozICan
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My five year old tells us he has to go to the bathroom a lot when we are out. I think it is a quieter, less stimulating place for him.

Bluerose1482
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Could it be that the classroom is too busy for her and she is going to the bathroom because it is quite and feels safe? 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I agree with Bluerose, I bet she does it to get out of class. It may be her only way of getting a break from the chaos. Kids are smart, she probably just learned that that was a cue to get out. Maybe if she has a card for quiet time, or to go for a walk that she can point to or somehow show to the aide, then she might be able to let them know that she needs a break, and won't be tempted to pee constantly. I would send her with pull ups on too, maybe she gets nervous that she will have an accident at school, so she tries to go more often. Its so hard to tell when theyre not verbal, huh?

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Hugs mama!  I honestly don't know but these ladies seem to have some good ideas.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)