Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Poor coordination and glass dishes

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:46 AM
  • 7 Replies

Do your kids have problems using normal, breakable glass dishware?  We use a lot of plastic dishes because my kids tend to not be very careful with glass dishes.  I hate cleaning up the glass shards (they don't do a good job of cleaning; they don't see the little pieces and just smear them around the floor when they try to clean), and I don't want to keep replacing broken dishes, so we mostly use plastic dishes.  Is this pretty typical, or do your kids use glass dishes?  I'd love to think it gets better, but since hubby is the same way, I think that for my family, we're always going to primarily use plastic. 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

My kids are still young so we use plastic for them and glass for us. When it comes to bowls though I use whichever I grab. They do pretty good with them. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I am the queen of paper plates and plastic cups...lol. But for dinner we use our dishes and glasses and its never been a problem. I say use plastic and avoid anything getting broken or you having to clean extra dishes!Its a win-win...LOL!

BKozICan
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

My Corelle dishes have been practically unbreakable. Of course, I have hardwood floors and not tile, so that could be the difference.

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I only learned a couple of years ago that Corelle is supposed to be less easy to break and that if it did break, that it's not supposed to splinter into thousands of pieces.  My family has managed to defy that statement.  We have broken numerous Corelle dishes, shattering them into thousands of tiny pieces.  We have a linoleum floor.  Maybe if it wasn't Corelle we would have broken more, I don't know (tho' we've also broken glass & stoneware).  Maybe this is just our talent.  I'd just wish we had a different skill.

Quoting BKozICan:

My Corelle dishes have been practically unbreakable. Of course, I have hardwood floors and not tile, so that could be the difference.

mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Plastic containers are fine for me too! just for feeding :D but, I didn't use it in the microwave.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Mine is too young...bump!

jadelily
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I use plastic (melamine) dishes for everyone. They sell really nice looking sets at Target. Honestly, I just don't want to clean up broken dishes or keep buying more as my family breaks them. We've had these plastic dishes for probably 8-9 years, not one has broken, so I'm not going back!

Honestly though, we are a paper plate family. I used them most of the time because dishes are the one chore I just can't stand. I'd rather scrubs floors with a tooth brush than do dishes.

Corelle does break, and when it does it explodes in a thousand tiny shards, it's much worse when it breaks than any other dishes. It does however break far less often. I have some old Corelle in my cabinet, what's left of a set from long ago... like 2 dinner plates and 6 small plates, the rest were evil glass bombs! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN