Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Homework! *insert angry face*

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM
  • 3 Replies

How do you and your child handle homework? Mine had been coming home with so much that I called the head of CST and we handled that pretty quickly! Much less has been coming home but he also has an aide and she tries to take him to the library at the end of the day to get some done. I think it's so wrong of them to have a child in school 6 hours a day and then send them home with an hour or two worth of homework! Some nights I was more frustrated than he was!

Myspace Comments

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Thankfully we had an elementary school that gave very reasonable amounts of homework, so we didn't have this problem in elementary school.  On the occasions when even that little bit sent my son into meltdown mode, I'd send a note to the teacher about why the work wasn't done, and she'd let it slide.  We had a wonderful elementary school experience.

Middle school and high school have been worse because there's more homework.  We haven't figured out a solution that works for us yet.  My son thinks homework is ridiculous since he already knows the information and doesn't feel he should have to prove it to others.  I don't have any good answers, but I completely understand the frustrations.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Mine is too young for it...bump!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM
All past teachers have been so good, honestly, but he is with a new teacher and I just don't think she "gets" it... They switch classes and the other teachers are getting better!

Thanks for replying! I love hearing about any children who are older than my son!

Quoting hwifeandmom:

Thankfully we had an elementary school that gave very reasonable amounts of homework, so we didn't have this problem in elementary school.  On the occasions when even that little bit sent my son into meltdown mode, I'd send a note to the teacher about why the work wasn't done, and she'd let it slide.  We had a wonderful elementary school experience.

Middle school and high school have been worse because there's more homework.  We haven't figured out a solution that works for us yet.  My son thinks homework is ridiculous since he already knows the information and doesn't feel he should have to prove it to others.  I don't have any good answers, but I completely understand the frustrations.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)