Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Today I would have to say school.  Trying to get my son to understand the importance of school, applying himself and trying his best has been something that we need to work on every day.  

How about you?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM
If I can help please let me know. Dd was nonverbal & last summer it was like a light switch was flipped & she just started talking. She was learning the whole time just couldn't make the connection to verbalize it. She is now starting to put words together & making short sentences. I know it is hard but patience & a lot of repetition will help your little one. If they don't learn to be verbal they will find a way to communicate. Dd started w/ asl & pecs till she started talking (still uses a lot of pecs in school)

Quoting Onmyown2727:

I hear you loud and clear.  

If I can help you in any way, please let me know

I've seen my son adapt so well.  i'm so proud of him.

good 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Overall...communication.  My 4 year old is nonverbal.  It's hard.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cassidysmom611
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Communication is the big thing. She only has 3 words. Also, getting her ready for preschool in March has been hard for me. 

Onmyown2727
by Trish on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Dora what awesome news!  You must be so proud of  her!  

Quoting Dora-rulz:

If I can help please let me know. Dd was nonverbal & last summer it was like a light switch was flipped & she just started talking. She was learning the whole time just couldn't make the connection to verbalize it. She is now starting to put words together & making short sentences. I know it is hard but patience & a lot of repetition will help your little one. If they don't learn to be verbal they will find a way to communicate. Dd started w/ asl & pecs till she started talking (still uses a lot of pecs in school)

Quoting Onmyown2727:

good 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Onmyown2727
by Trish on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM

What does he like to eat?  

Quoting princess_1983:

Eating - my 5 year old is such a picky eater. He will hardly eat anything.

Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Thank you! We are SO proud of her. I thanked her teacher for finally finding my baby girl when it happened. I joked that I gave birth to her 4 yrs ago but since she was living in her own little world I just felt like a stranger. Now we get tons of hugs & kisses.

Quoting Onmyown2727:

Quoting Dora-rulz:

Quoting Onmyown2727:

good 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Onmyown2727
by Trish on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You are very welcome.  My heart swells with pride when I look back over what my son has gone through.  He came from this little boy that played by himself, didn't walk to 19 months old, very limited speech, to a young man that has friends in school, the neighborhood and at youth group.

Quoting Dora-rulz:

Thank you! We are SO proud of her. I thanked her teacher for finally finding my baby girl when it happened. I joked that I gave birth to her 4 yrs ago but since she was living in her own little world I just felt like a stranger. Now we get tons of hugs & kisses.

Quoting Onmyown2727:

Quoting Dora-rulz:

Quoting Onmyown2727:

good 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Congrats on your sons progress! It is always nice to hear things like this. I know she is on that path but its hard to see it sometimes. Just have to look back to see her progress.

Quoting Onmyown2727:

You are very welcome.  My heart swells with pride when I look back over what my son has gone through.  He came from this little boy that played by himself, didn't walk to 19 months old, very limited speech, to a young man that has friends in school, the neighborhood and at youth group.

Quoting Dora-rulz:

Quoting Onmyown2727:

Quoting Dora-rulz:

Quoting Onmyown2727:

good 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

cheese, french fries, candy, occassionally hotdogs, Gerber cheddar puffs, occassionally pop-tars, cookies

Quoting Onmyown2727:

What does he like to eat?  

Quoting princess_1983:

Eating - my 5 year old is such a picky eater. He will hardly eat anything.

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Communication was the hardest. We got Xavier mostly over it, but it has taken about 4 years..
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM
We've had many many hurdles to overcome but currently, the one we are working on is depression and self esteem. Also getting him to leave the house and participate in life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN