Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Allergies and Diet

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello everyone,

I've read some of the previous postings about the links between autism and allergies and I must admit I blew those off as something unique to certain individuals. Well, it has hit home for me and my son.  He is four (he was diagnosed with autism when he was two) and the past 7 or 8 months he has been plagued with allergies and sickness.  It would start with sneezing, runny nose, then post-nasal drip and coughing, then progress into congestion, sometimes fever, and bronchial issues. He'd have to have antibiotics and breathing treatments and a steroid.  After the antibiotic regimen was completed, he'd be fine again.  Then a few weeks later it'd start up again and he'd miss more days of school and more therapy appointments (speech, occupational).  His pediatrician ordered an allergy test and the results are astonishing.  He is allergic to (and this isn't the complete list!):  shellfish, cod fish, wheat, peanuts as well as other types of nuts, egg whites, milk, cat and dog dander, pecan trees, various shrubs and grasses, mold, and smoke.  We don't have any pets but I had dreamed of one day getting my son a dog.  Cross that off now!  He's an extremely picker eater so limiting his already limited diet is frustrating.  And my boy loves playing outdoors so it breaks my heart to have to keep him indoors so much.  There are so many challenges to face here and I'm just looking for  emotional support.  And tips!  I love my son and he is a blessing in our lives!  Whatever steps needed to ensure he has a comfortable and wonderful life, I'm willing to take. Thanks for listening (er, reading)! ;-)

*Angelia Bell*

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for sharing. As he grows older, he will out grow some of it. Avoid food with food color that will make it worst! you will definitely spend more time reading labels on each item (food) you pick from the store. But hey! it is just hard in the beginning. You and your boy will be fine :D

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

In my family, my allergic kids are not my ASD kids.  However, I can definitely see how allergies could make ASD symptoms worse, since when kids don't feel well, their behaviors increase.  I'm so sorry your son has to deal with both challenges.  I cannot imagine the difficulties for both of you.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hopefully he can grow out of most of these.  I have heard allergies can change every so many years. I am getting ready to talk to doc about getting ds tested too. He seems to get a lot of gas that makes him cry. We know milk has to be one of those things because if he has dairy he wakes up throughout the night crying. Good luck momma

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Wow!  Thanks for sharing mama.  I honestly didn't know about this.  Hugs mama!

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM

We have our kids on claritin once a day, a lot of supplements that further support their immune systems including but not limited to vitamin C, D, and Zinc, and a really good probiotic to help keep their tummies happy if and when they do have to have antibiotics.  I think if you can eliminate the wheat and milk first among the other problematic foods you will see a big change in your kiddo's ability to fend off bugs and if he DOES get a cold, not have it progress into a bacterial infection. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My son also has food allergies, and seems to suffer from seasonal allergies as well. It makes life harder, for sure!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Us too! My daughter and older son were the allergic ones! My daughter was dermagraphic. So basically anything that touched her skin gave her a body full of hives, and puffy lips, hands and feet... AND she had a nut allergy! All I can say is that it's a struggle to avoid it all but they eventually get used to their new way of eating!

Quoting hwifeandmom:

In my family, my allergic kids are not my ASD kids.  However, I can definitely see how allergies could make ASD symptoms worse, since when kids don't feel well, their behaviors increase.  I'm so sorry your son has to deal with both challenges.  I cannot imagine the difficulties for both of you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

We see a dan doctor for my daughter. I would recommend going to one. They are really helpful with recommending diet and supplements to keep healthy. Once they go through a big round of antibiotics repeatedly, then there are often reprucussions to that, like an overgrowth of bad bacteria and yeast in the gut. Its like a downward spiral, one thing becomes an allergy, and then another until you're not sure what to feed them. The allergies can come from a leaky gut, and the things that they eat are going through the gut lining into the bloodstream, and then the immune system works like crazy to mount an immune response toward the particles of food, and voila, a food allergy! If you can address the gut issues then eventually the allergies will subside too. We do a gluten, dairy, soy, grain and sugar free diet for healing. Its a bit of a long process, but he will get there.

Oh and as for the dog, they have autism service dogs that are standard poodles which are non allergenic. There is still hope!!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)