Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

nonverbal reading

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
How do you know if your child is learning to read if they are nonverbal? They can't read out loud to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was non verbal til he's 5 (no recognizable words). When he was two I bought alphabets magnets for the refrigerator. He would arrange it to form words like cat, dog, pig...and he can arrange the alphabets from A-Z and Z-A without difficulty. When I found out he can spell, I bought more educational toys.

shugerbit
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

my son is 2 1/2 and his st thinks he s hyperlexic.  we cant prove it, but he loves anything with letters and runs his fingers along the words like he is reading it.  he has to "read" the labels on all his food  drinks.  we have the Apple first words app on my iphone and he spells all  the words with no problem and very quick without any hints turned on. 

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM
My son is 5. We are just starting working on the alphabet.So we have a while to go first before he starts to read. I appreciate the input.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I hope someone has an answer for you! My son was reading and writing by 3.... It has been the one thing he excels at! Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
There is an awesome blog called 1+1+1=1. The mom of this blog created a sight word reading program called You Can Read. Each lesson covers 4 sight words. There's a component where each word is a different color and then there are about 25 or so of the sight words mixed on the page and your child has to circle the sight word with the right color. That might be a way to identify or check for understanding of what your child is reading. She gots a lot of other cool things on her blog as well.
humbledmom310
by Kelly on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

When my son was 2 we bought some Alphabet flash cards, we would ask him where a certain letter was and he would point to it. One day he was playing with some letter blocks and he spelled the word Lions gate across the floor. He had memorized this word from his Barney show (Lions gate is the production company). After that we added written words to his picture board for and labeled everything in our house. He has an incredible memory actually learned these sight words very fast. We could write down a group of words ..ex. door, window , bed, and bottle. Then we would ask him to point to which one said bottle. ect. We only introduced words to him that he could understand at that point (Nouns) . We did not have him memorize any verbs, adjectives, pronouns or possessive pronouns for these are abstract concepts that he did not understand and we did not want him to not understand what he was reading. He started spelling words with plastic letters, like his name and other words that he was learning to speak. We just kept on like this while his speech developed. when he started to talk more we taught him letter sounds and he eventually started to sound out new words.Now that he is five , verbal , and understands abstract concepts ,he is actually able to read very well. He is in a TK class and reads and spells at a second grade level.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I play a game with my daughter (4 yrs old and semi verbal, not conversational) where I lay out her dvd book and she can pick one she wants. When she hands it to me, I say, "what's this" and she tells me what the disk is based on the picture on it, and then we watch it. She does well with it, its great for bringing out words. The funny thing I've noticed is when the disks just have writing on them, she says what they are too! She pointed to the word Dora tonight and said "Dora". I just think its fascinating that a non verbal kid can actually read!! They are smarter than we think sometimes!! It's all there, its just finding the key to get it out of them.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Good question...what great responses!

Shardep
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
My daughter it's hyperlexic, she can read and is non verbal. We know because if we write something she can go get it without any prompting. Children need to be read to, they may not be able to read to you, but read to them and watch the words work. You may see your stories in their play, our in their art work. You never know. Read to them anyway just to set up a good night time routine. It's a good bonding experience. Just preread the book first! Lol i read ferdinand the bull to my dd and started crying like crazy, she was ferdinand, sitting under the tree sniffing flowers not doing what the other bulls do... Anyway you should continue with your efforts. Your child may enjoy you reading to them even if it doesn't seem like it!
Shardep
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
My daughter it's hyperlexic, she can read and is non verbal. We know because if we write something she can go get it without any prompting. Children need to be read to, they may not be able to read to you, but read to them and watch the words work. You may see your stories in their play, our in their art work. You never know. Read to them anyway just to set up a good night time routine. It's a good bonding experience. Just preread the book first! Lol i read ferdinand the bull to my dd and started crying like crazy, she was ferdinand, sitting under the tree sniffing flowers not doing what the other bulls do... Anyway you should continue with your efforts. Your child may enjoy you reading to them even if it doesn't seem like it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)