Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thinking about getting a different job

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
I currently work in a gas station, I prety much love my job but am getting tired of the bs drama. It's a local company and I was full time. I had wanted to be a manager but got passed over for a guy who was barely out of his probationary period. That guy didn't like me and after a cpl months cut me down to 12 hours. Well upper management didn't take to kindly to that and chewed him out because I have been a loyal employee for almost 2 years and went through a robbery a year ago. Well I have most my hours back but I've been working at 2 stores. That guy ended up being demoted a cpl weeks ago because he still couldn't run the store after 3 months. The guy currently managing is better but I get the feeling he'd fire me if he could. And now supposedly they can't afford another mngr until business picks back up, but they are short two managers. Well today my dad told me that the school bus company needs 3 monitors and the pay is $10.75 an hour with minimum 20 hours a week. I currently make 7.50 and get about 35 hours a week. So my bring home pay wouldn't be that much of a difference even if I was to get one of the shortest routes. Also I can take my daughter to work with me on the morning route because she doesn't go to preschool until noon... I'm kinda torn...Ill most likely get the monitor job if I applied because the hiring mngr knows me and has previously told me he'd hire me if I ever wanted to work there, but at the same time I think I'd really miss working at the station and my customers. Oh of course the bus company would be set hours Monday through Friday and no school means no work and my current job my shifts jump around and I work every weekend
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like the bus monitor job is a great offer. It will be nice being off when you dd is off from school. Not to mention being able to bring her to work with you in the mornings. You can always stop by the station and say hi to the customers

JCKitten87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM
One thing that I like about the gas station is that I get a break from my daughter, but she does start kindergarten in August so it'll be full day school. My dd is just a handful lol she will probly end up being an only child if my husband has his way. But the being off when school is out would be super convenient for like snow days and spring break! I wouldnt have to worry about childcare at all :) my husband works overnights and gets moody when he's tired

Quoting JTMOM422:

sounds like the bus monitor job is a great offer. It will be nice being off when you dd is off from school. Not to mention being able to bring her to work with you in the mornings. You can always stop by the station and say hi to the customers

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

How does the pay work when there is no school?  Do they still pay you a minimum of 20 hours a week? 

If so, it sounds like a great deal and you should apply.

JCKitten87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
All the routes that they are hiring for right now have summer school routes, but when school is out for a whole week or more they approve unemployment on the condition of returning after the holiday. That was a worry of mine too but I used to only work 23 hours at the gas station for the first year and my daughter currently receives SSI so it'd be ok to go without a check for 2-3 weeks a couple times this summer if I wouldn't be able to get unemployment that soon after beginning

Quoting Bluerose1482:

How does the pay work when there is no school?  Do they still pay you a minimum of 20 hours a week? 

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You should definately apply.  Also, I don't know about where you are, but here bus monitors are often hired when the district needs paraprofessionals, which only pays a little more, but also comes with full benefits, including insurance and retirement.  Just someting to think about.

Quoting JCKitten87:

All the routes that they are hiring for right now have summer school routes, but when school is out for a whole week or more they approve unemployment on the condition of returning after the holiday. That was a worry of mine too but I used to only work 23 hours at the gas station for the first year and my daughter currently receives SSI so it'd be ok to go without a check for 2-3 weeks a couple times this summer if I wouldn't be able to get unemployment that soon after beginning

Quoting Bluerose1482:

JCKitten87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
This may sound stupid, but what is a paraprofessional

Quoting Bluerose1482:

You should definately apply.  Also, I don't know about where you are, but here bus monitors are often hired when the district needs paraprofessionals, which only pays a little more, but also comes with full benefits, including insurance and retirement.  Just someting to think about.

Quoting JCKitten87:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

A teacher's aide.  In our district they call them paraprofessionals or paras for short.

Quoting JCKitten87:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Quoting JCKitten87:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

JCKitten87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Oh ok. My daughter may have an aide in kindergarten... I'm not really sure how main stream school is gonna work for her :/

Quoting Bluerose1482:

A teacher's aide.  In our district they call them paraprofessionals or paras for short.

Quoting JCKitten87:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Quoting JCKitten87:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM
If you take the bus job and hated it, how hard would it be to get your old job back?

Do you enjoy working with kids? I have a friend who is a bus driver. She loves those kids and sees herself as someone who looks out for them as they are between school and home. She loves her job!

For me, I'd really prefer a job where I wouldn't have to worry about daycare. But that's just me.

If you think you'd enjoy it, go for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:02 AM

I agree with the comment above...could you try it and then go back it you didn't like it?  Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)